Dumfries and Newton Stewart Area

Hi Rob here, going to the above area shortly for 3 days hols so looking for any routes cheers Rob.

I spent 10 days in the Borders in May.  Go and see St. Mary’s Loch, the Grey Mare’s Tail (waterfall) and the "Devil’s Beef Tub (a big hole in the ground).  All decent driving roads and brilliant landscapes.

Ali D.

From Dumfries head east to Lockerbie then keep heading east along the B723 to Eskdalemuir. From there head along the B709 to the A708 and turn back west towards St Marys Loch and keep going past to Moffat  and head north along the A701 up to the A72 and head west to the A702. The A702 isn’t the best road but follow that towards Abington. From there B797 to Leadhills, onto the B7040 to Elvanfoot. You now get yourself on the A702 soith westerly direction to Carronbridge over the Dalveen Pass then back down to Dumfries.

I reckon that’ll be a lovely little drive

You could try the A714, 28 miles, from Newton Stewart to Girvan.

It’s a good driving road.

Also, perhaps, you could try Glentrool, site of Robert Bruce’s defeat of some English.

I’ve just read my last post back and it looks like a five year old wrote it a

Hi Rob here,

many thanks for all your replies just come back form up there, 4 days 706 mls from the Wirral M6, A6, A75 to Portpatrick Base hotel then the route on the pic started back A75, M6, A66 then through The Lakes. Car was a dream as usual our second trip up North, based in Fort William did the Aplecross Pass, this was in our Eunos 1992 V Spec 1600cc BRG with 106000 mls on the clock. Pic of lake is Ulswater, garden Port Logan, beach Garleston. Cheers for now will post any more meanders with the car, Rob.

Nice pics…

I lived in Stranraer as a kid through to late teens,

and Portpatrick and Port Logan were very much part of the

‘Sunday runs’ in the family car. 

Logan Gardens indeed lovely, a great exception to the horizontal windswept

trees on the higher areas.

Port Logan was the location filming for the TV series ‘2000 Acres of Skye’ some years ago.

Hey Andy,

we were there years ago when they were filming Acres of Sky,we were told to move the car , reflections off the screen and then to keep our heads down by the breakwater we thought they were filming the cult 1984 still had a good time there taking in the fish pool at the far end of the bay, So 706 mls over 4 days returned 42/gallon just the same mpg as our earlier trip to Aplecross Pass, a few pics of Port Logan and hotel at end of run, bubbly for 42 years of marriage and to the same lady?

[URL=http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/g0aku/media/DSCF0270_zps45buni6r.jpg.html][/URL

Lovely pics Rob, and congratulations on long lasting marriage.