E10 New Fuel Megathread [Consolidated for all E10 discussion]

Was going for a 140 mile round trip in the Mazda2 yesterday so topped up at 8am and saw the new stickers (shell). Car is only 6 years old so no issues at all and couldn’t tell any difference. See what happens with the next MX5 fill.

Hmmmm

i asked mazda NZ for their opinion. They said this…(and you guys are getting this before I put it in the club mag)

" MX-5 Models prior to NC are not suitable to run on E10 Biofuels. The main issues around that are that no testing has been conducted to check NA model suitability. However ALL JDM vehicles are approved to run on E3 (3%) biofuel.
There is the possibility that E10 biofuels could react with certain metal and or other rubber components causing fuel leakage.
On NB MX-5, the diaphragm in the fuel pump will crack if used with E10 biofuels.”

Interesting.
But that is New Zealand I take it?
My understanding from Mazda UK is that E10 will be fine on the NB… :man_shrugging:
What is Mazda UK’s take on it all?
Or change the fuel pump perhaps for an aftermarket one which is resilient to E10.
Just an opinion of course.

And there we have it. Well, some of it…whatever " it" is turning out to be.
"No testing done on the NA…but…it’s unsuitable. Right-ho then.
Since, after all, it is an unknown quantity.
Excellent.

My advice is if anyone with an older car does experience running issues, try it with the super unleaded (or a 50/50 mix).

1 Like

Can anyone suggest a list of things that will need replacing due to the new E10 fuel?
It’s just seems that every thread is people saying the same thing “go buy v-power” but I’d sooner not have to spend £40 extra each month when I could go and spend £200 to upgrade x-y-z so I can use the new E10.
I think if someone actually knows what needs replacing/upgrading and can post a simple checklist then that will help alot of people.
Apologies if it’s already been done but with 250+ comments on this thread, I didn’t see it anywhere

In Leighton Buzzard yesterday - V-Power, E5, £1.509 Momentum, Tesco, E5, £1,409

In both cases the E10 was £1.339. I used V-Power when it was +12p, but +17p is just extortion. +7p for the Momentum seems reasonable.

If you are a member and near a branch with a fuel station, it might be worth checking out Costco. They always used to say their standard offer was ‘super’ - that might have changed now if every outlet has to offer E10 premium.

Just a question regarding your ‘sums’.
If you would spend an extra £40 per month on a price uptake of say a .20p premium for the ‘good stuff’ you would be purchasing 200 gallons per month which at, again say 35mpg, is 7,000 miles a month or 84,000 mile per annum.
May be another visit to the calculator is in order.
:heart:

4 Likes

Mazda are only certifying cars built since 2002, and is only certifying 2005 NC MX5s onwards. Not NBs.

It is a pity that Mazda cannot be compelled to share parts intelligence it might have gathered globally. Or explain how they “cleared” models to run on E10. My assumption is, for the NC, they have maintained a materials register, and know all the materials in the fuel system (ie. they aren’t actually testing E10 in cars, but performing an in silico analysis). For NA and NB, they either don’t know all the materials that went in, or there are materials included for which the performance in contact with E10 is unknown, and frankly, they can’t be bothered to do any physical testing on an old car, when they are in business to sell new cars.

3 Likes

For V-Power at +17p per litre it’s nearer 80p per gallon more, so maybe 50 gallons or maybe 2,000 miles.

1 Like

Good point John.
:heart:

In the UK Government website gives the Manufacturers models suitable for E10.
The website only states that it is suitable for MX5(NC).
No mention of the ND.
Nor does the website state that it the lists relate to cars later than those models stated.
The fuel cap inside my 2016ND does not refer to E10, nor do any manuals that I have.
Like to see things in official documents rather than by word of mouth.
Can anyone advise where I might find such info?

Mazda, the manufacturer, states:

E10 Petrol is cleared for use in all Mazda vehicles fitted with petrol engines, as specified below:, All MX-5 models from 2005 (NC model) onwards

Its obvious the manufacturer includes the ND. The government website is based on what the manufacturer tells them.

Ask your dealer.

From what I’ve seen, most MX5ists will swear blind their car goes faster on higher octane fuel. So why not just continue to use that?

1 Like

Missed the bit that said "and models with petrol engines introduced thereafter, namely: MX5(NC).
Helps if I read the article properly!

Because that is far too simple, and the boys do like a good factoid willy-waving session of superlative linkies, opinions (!) and pages of what-about-ery.

Someone at Mazda thought they were being lever adding “NC”. Government has no clue about NC v ND (and why should they). Mazda obviously sent a poorly worded statement to the government. Hopefully someone at Mazda is monitoring this thread.

1 Like

Mazda now doing social media posts linking to this page, which is as per the info Saz posted above.

https://www.mazda.co.uk/why-mazda/news-and-events/mazda-news/articles/what-is-e10-petrol/?utm_campaign=Mazda+UK&utm_content=1631468803&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook,twitter&fbclid=IwAR0XgfBNkbdYQUKgeKA051s2MKhk4azHNadhQzyibSb2dtTIQid4I9UKk2A

Now from where I sit with my NB 02 MX-5 this is a different story now, have the goal posts moved here? It’s simple to fix as I have been filling with E5 super now for the last few months but I feel like I may have been misinformed before, or not paying attention. Were late model NBs not supposed to be OK with E10 ?

Edit,
I understand now. NB as a model was pre 2002 introduction, so E10 no good. NC onwards is OK.

Who knows how the government interpeted any message from Mazda? The gov website also states “Conditions are that the vehicle has not been modified and original parts have been used for maintenance and repair.” which I can’t see on Mazdas website?

I don’t think the NB was ever okay’ed to run on E10 was it?

1 Like