Ecu and instrument cluster

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ mk3 2.0
  2. I’m based near: __cornwall
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ecu and instrument cluster

After a few garage visits I now know my ecu is faulty.

I have found the ecu/cluster etc parts on ebay how ever looking at some of the ecu numbers mine are very different from other mk3’s. There is one with the number is the same but 1 letter. The last letter on mine is F where as the part I found is a H.

LFH9 F
LH9F 18 881F
279700-4115
K4238 12V

Can anyone advise on this? Do the numbers need to match exactly? Is it just the top row of numbers/letters need to match? What a mine field of possibility’s!

If it is like many manufacturers - the last letter is a revision number ( minor changes )
From what I understand - the ECU ,Instrument cluster and keys need to be a matching set to work on the car.

So it doesn’t matter what the numbers are as long as they are all part of the same set from the same car? Just to clarify?

That is my understanding.
And clearly why they seem to be sold in matching sets from reputable breakers

Thank you for clearing this up.

Final question how long would this take for a decent mechanic to finish the job?

Depends how you do it.

Not sure what a mechanic would charge - I tend to DIY everything I can.

If it was me :

1. Swap out the ECU ( it is under the air filter ) - appx 30 mins
  2. Swap out the instrument cluster - appx 30 mins
  3. Swap the id chips between the keys ( now you don’t need to change all the locks and your central locking should still recognise the old keys ) - 10 mins of a job
1 Like

That seems easy enough. Thank you for spending the time.

Ecus can vary between auto and manual so make sure it matches.