EGR fault - code P0403

Hi Guys

I’ve just joined the club and already asking for help!

My 2006 NC 2.0 Sport is running perfectly (touch wood) but just before the MOT it’s showing the above fault code. I can clear it but after a while it comes back.

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jeff

EGR code
you can try cleaning it or a blast round the motorway at high revs sometimes cleans it

in search put EGR there’s loads on it Profile - Roadster_Robbie - MX-5 Owners Club Forum has uploaded some stuff on it

Mine did this, I could clear it with the code reader and it wouldn’t reoccur for many months, but each time it came on, the frequency was getting closer and closer.
In the end I replaced the stepper motor.
Changing the Egr valve can be quite in-depth and difficult, but chances are, it’s just the motor, which can be done in maybe an hour and half.
Also, it the same motor s used on the Mondeo, so I bought a mondeo Egr valve and took the stepper motor off this s it was a cheaper option.
I did a write up with images, I’ll see if I can find it.

It looks like the post has gone, maybe was on the old forum.
Anyhow basic instructions.
Remove the wiper arms.
Remove the scuttle panel.
I think I removed the engine brace
Under the scuttle behind the engine is an inspection cover, remove this
There are a few pipes bolted to the bulkhead, these can be unscrewed and moved out of the way.
The wiper mechanism gets in the way, so you may find it easier to remove that.
The stepper motor is visible on the back of the engine.
You’ll need an extra long cross head or Phillips to get to the screws, and they’ll be tight, so something solid and sturdy to shock them if they don’t budge.

It sounds daunting, but it’s literally about 10 fasteners to get to it. An hour to strip down and 30 minutes to put back.
You’ll get back ache leaning over the car, and you may find that changing the stepper is easier with the bonnet down.

When the motor is off, make sure that the physical innards of the Egr valve is free to press down and comes back up freely.
Fit the new stepper nd resemble in reverse order.

Seal the scuttle grommets while you’re there.

The mondeo ones have increased in price since I did mine. But the mx5 one has come down a bit.
On eBay an mx5 valve from china £46, which is the same price as a mondeo one in the uk, or £85 from mx5 parts.
P/n LFE220300.
Just also be aware that the modeo full valve has a different angled pipe to the mx5, so you’d only be buying a mondeo one for the motor.

Have a look at this one eBay item number 315195140905

Cheap fix.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I’ll get stuck into it as MOT in a couple of weeks!

The MOT doesn’t check for fault codes. Any lights on the MIL have to been on for the whole of the MOT to warrant a fail.
As an example, the ERG on my Volvo triggers an engine fault in the MIL. I just clear the fault just prior to handing over to the garage. It takes a couple of minutes to appear as a fault so the testers can’t fail it.

This one?

I’ll check that out. Thanks.