End of Petrol/Diesel cars in 2035 ? - Perhaps Not

I am really not worried, there will always be ways to be found to carry on using them, seen and heard it all before with the hairy chest lead fuel , and the classic car boom, just going around in circles, they are all still on the road being enjoyed, no matter what they try to control us with ,the passionate and enthusiastic will always find a way regardless.
M-m

1 Like

"A looming British ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars was thrown into chaos on Tuesday after Brussels watered down its own restrictions amid opposition from the German auto industry.

Experts and politicians warned that British rules due to take effect in 2030 are untenable following the European climbdown, which will allow internal combustion engines as long as they burn carbon neutral alternatives.

The EU will now ban the sale of petrol and diesel cars from 2035 but permit these so-called e-fuels following a backroom compromise forced on it by the German authorities and signed off on Tuesday night."

Let’s hope these zero emission e-fuels really do have zero emissions. Unlike the German automotive industry’s "zero emissions " diesel engines we were encouraged to buy.

1 Like

Seems some fleet managers are not convinced EV is going to be the solution :- EV obstacles mean UK 'will not achieve petrol and diesel ban in 2030' | Fleet200

Government seems determined to plough on regardless of Europe :- No U-turn! Britain to stick to 2030 petrol and diesel car ban - Energy Live News

… and the Telegruff is in a huff :- Banning petrol cars by 2030 is a crazy act of self-sabotage

It’s called “the exercise of sovereign rights”! – or “not invented here”… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

David

I wonder how many of our corrupt clowns already have their fingers in the EV pie and stand to lose a fortune if they back down ??

1 Like

Bit concerned about stories of EV’s being written off after nothing more than mounting the kerb.

Apparently, it’s a pain to shut them down, a mistake could result in electrocution - and some manufacturers won’t let on how to do it to protect their data. So it’s not economic to repair them.

We had electric vehicles after WW2. They were called milk floats. One 60 years old and still running got sold recently at auction on Bangers and Cash.

Where did it all go wrong?

1 Like

A crashed Tesla’s batteries are still spontaneously combusting on and off in a scrapyard in the Midlands.
It’s been consigned to a scratch built concrete encasement for general safety in a corner of the yard away from everything for about 50 feet around it. It’s been doing it for weeks. Nobody is allowed near the thing…or what is left of it. Weird & scary.

Btw… because none of the available published information was actually saying what I wanted to know, I did a calculation to determine the extent to which cars contribute to greenhouse gas emissions in comparison to other sources of emissions.

In 2019 the actual contribution of IC cars towards Greenhouse gas emissions its about 12.4% of the total Greenhouse gas emissions. Its quite sizable but the values that we were fed was ~29% which is the total transportation greenhouse gas emissions.

plot is here

In addition to the above a few things that I would like to add:

1. If you want to solve a problem that has multiple contributors you have to tackle and reduce all contributors. However the most efficient way of tackling the issue is to focus towards the biggest sources and put more of your efforts in reducing those first.

2. I have not yet seen a report that shows the effect to Greenhouse gas emissions by increasing energy production due to increase in demand because of electric cars.

The reason I have concerns with the current approach is because somehow the main focus is on reducing / eliminating combustion powered cars but the contribution of energy production is not small (Total Transportation ~29% and Energy Production ~25% - 2019 values). Besides the fact the electricity grid in most countries cannot cope with an increase in energy production I have great concerns that the actual effect in greenhouse gas emissions would be somewhat reducing Total Transportation but increasing Energy Production with a net zero effect.

And if there would be a net zero effect we have achieved nothing in reducing greenhouse gas emissions with great expense in infrastructure (besides the fact electric cars only make sense in cities)

How I worked it out (including sources) is here

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.