End of Petrol/Diesel cars in 2035 ? - Perhaps Not

2 Likes

Getting us off our addiction to dinosaur juice is not going to be quite as easy as the politicians, bureaucrats would like to believe, however the necessity is only going to get stronger if one believes the scientists. Glad I will probably not be around much more than 10 to 15 years to see how this pans out.

1 Like

Very local to me. The vehicles are running about quite happily according to the latest update.

1 Like

I recall Cash & Carry forklifts running off compressed gas but it may have been LPG back in the 70s/80s.
I think the reasons would have included running indoors sans petrol exhaust gases.
Hitachi machines I think. Doubt it would have been hydrogen back then?

1 Like

Doing Maths :exploding_head:

Bullit is a mere 18 yrs June 2023 [40 yrs for Classic Status]

Add 12 yrs [2035] = Bullit 30 yrs

Drat…She still 10 yrs short of Classic Status :grimacing:

'Cos me Finking was…Petrol will be available for Classic Cars

[Albeit…Delivered by Drone …Probably from Amazon :roll_eyes:]

And that’s if I’ve managed to halt her corrosion :cry:

And as Art posted ‘might not be around to see how this pans out’

But Bullit & I not Dead yet

Committed to Renovate & Restore this NB 2.5 Icon :crossed_fingers:

[Edited after feedback ‘use of too many capital letters’ on posts. Can’t remember who you are…but u need to Google ‘Broca & Wenicke’ areas of the Brain before commenting on my use of too many capitals my friend] :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

1 Like

2035 is not the date for no more petrol or diesel
The 2035 date is a ban on the sale of NEW cars / vans etc that use petrol or diesel.

2 Likes

The ban on new ICE cars starts in 2030 (not 2035) for the UK though.

Synthetic fuels can be part of the answer:

1 Like

Appreciate Clarification :smiley:

[Reckon my Maths wrong in a different way. Musta been doing the 2+2=5 Calculation :face_with_spiral_eyes:]

:roll_eyes: :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

Glad to know I am not the only one looking to keep my 2.5 alive for a while yet, MOT today so fingers crossed I have a car to get home in at the end of the day :wink:

Hi Art

How did MOT go [was thinking about you and Madge…more so when you posted your battery housing]

I knew that Bullit was going to fail on corrosion last MOT [June 2022]

Main problem was the 3 Month Queue to get it sorted and adapting to

‘Shanke’s Pony’

But Bullit still lives and so can Madge

Kindest

2 Likes

Thanks for giving Madge a thought, she passed which will make it much easier to get on with the serious work of changing cambelt, waterpump, the remaining old suspension bushes and so on, hope to get her ready for another trip to the Nurburgring in June and maybe a sprint/hillclimb or two there after :wink:

Hi Art

Motivating to exchange info with fellow ‘Orange’ especially as Madge 3 yrs older than Bullit :smiley:

Encouraging to read your experiences [Yep…got Advisories re slightly worn bushes] :roll_eyes:

Madge ‘Looking Good’ thanks to your efforts :tophat:

And enjoying your humour re ‘Tow’ arrow :rofl:

TY, anything to make the marshals job easier :wink:

Looks like a future for e fuel burning ICE is being cemented :- Under pressure from Berlin, the EU relaxes its ban on combustion engines after 2035 | Euronews

1 Like

"A retired neurologist has urged Gloucestershire County Council to introduce 20mph speed limits in residential areas, which he says could save around 30 cyclists and pedestrians from being killed or seriously injured every year.

Speaking at a council meeting earlier this week, Gloucestershire resident Dr Paul Morrish said that between May 2019 and May 2021, five pedestrians and cyclists were killed, and 124 others seriously injured, on the county’s 30mph roads, Gloucestershire Live reports.

Morrish also claimed that the increased weight, size, and acceleration of electric vehicles could result in a rise in these figures on 30mph roads, unless improved safety measures are swiftly put in place"

Say what you like about my driving. No local authority or eminent neurologist ever advocated a 20 mph speed limit near my house to protect the public. EV drivers, hang your heads in shame.

1 Like

They work in two ways.
First of all the 20 limit means less damaging impacts, and secondly but a more significant hidden benefit is that lots of drivers now avoid them!

I sometimes visit some friends and also a hospital that live within such an area, and having known it well for the last fifty years it seems now the quietest ever despite many more parked cars; but it has so much less traffic.
Almost 20mph is easily maintained as an average speed because of never needing to stop; whereas before it was frequently a jam and actually took longer, usually averaging less than 5mph and often making me late for work!

So +1 here for 20mph zones.

1 Like

As I understand it, from 2030 all new sales of pure petrol and diesel vehicles will be banned. Then by 2035 New sales of hybrid vehicles are banned.
Interestingly, a conversation with Tesla, (I was asking about getting a 7kw car charger installed) has pulled up some eye opening facts.

1. A family with 2 or more electric vehicles will need a 3 phase electricity supply at a cost of approx 10k, because of the extra drain from the supply.
  2. Power stations will never be able to cope with the demand for multiple vehicle homes.
  3. Tesla are predicting each family will only have the use of 1 electric vehicle because of the additional costs of multiple cars and the drain on resources.
  4. The current public transport system will receive a massive upgrade, so being accessible to all.

That presumes charging every car every night. Unless each car is doing 200+ miles a day that is not necessary.

My daughter has an EV company car. She lives in a flat 1/2 a mile from me with no off-street parking so we had a charging point installed at my house and she uses that. She charges the car around once a week here and uses public chargers when she’s on the road. She travels all over the UK and might do 5-600 miles in a busy week.

If I had an EV I could easily fit in around her schedule - I have two ICE cars and my combined annual mileage is less than 5k miles.

We have seven years before sales of new ICE cars stops (assuming it does and there isn’t an extension). People will probably run their existing ICE cars for many years after that. Look at Cuba - where there’s a will, there’s a way. That’s enough time to get the infrastructure installed to handle EV charging.

I’m 72. I fully expect ICE cars to be on the road for many years after I’m pushing up daisies. If you don’t like EVs don’t buy one. If I could afford one I would. And keep the MX-5 of course :grin:

Yes I get your point and my next car is definitely going to be an electric car.
However I’m sorry to be sceptical about petrol cars being on the road for years, the new ethanol based fuels will kill the combustion engine within 10 years imo.
And another point , just my opinion, but the worlds electricity generation is still not enough and won’t ever be, to charge every household with more than one EV.

We should enjoy our mx5s now because it’s coming to an end of an era.