Engine bay tidying

Anybody any recommendations for products for cleaning your engine bay, rubber hoses, plastic trim etc.

1 Like

I guess it depends on how extreme you want to go but this works for me:

1. Use a clean paintbrush or ideally a detailing brush to remove as much dust and muck as possible.
  2. Use silicon spray (choose an oil-free version) for cleaning everything except for the exhaust manifold. You will be amazed to see your rubber hoses instantly looking like new.

I have not found anything that makes the rocker box shine. That is probably a major job.

2 Likes

CarPRO PERL (Plastic, Engine, Rubber and Leather) dilute 1:3 (1:5 for interior trim), spray on, wipe off, will be good for 3 months. It’s a bit of a Swiss army knife.

You’ll need to remove dirt first as above post with a detailing brush and damp cloth, anything dirtier some dilute APC should shift it.

1 Like

Just bought my first MX-5, from Gt.Yarmouth.
The engine bay looks more like a sand dune.
Any reason why I should not “jet-wash” the engine bay ?
Steve

I wouldn’t. The engine bay is essentially ‘dry’ and designed to be so. There are electronics and rubber seals which won’t like being pressure washed. A good stiff detailing brush, or even a paint brush, will shift the dry sand easily. It doesn’t take long … I get sand in mine (Fylde coast) but a brush flicks it away easily and quickly.

2 Likes

Thx @MX5RF, I’ll take your advice, but it will take more than just a quick brush.
Anyway, I’ll avoid the jet-wash option.
I’m in Blackburn, maybe we could meet up some time - I’ll DM you

Thanks for the advice and info on products, I have a small compressor and blow gun so I’ll shift as much as I can with that then follow your instructions, it’s a MK3 NC so no rocker cover to worry about.
Thanks again

I use a Clear Tyre gel

4 Likes

Ruddy Norah! You could eat your dinner off that :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve used a low power jet wash aimed at non electronic parts plenty of times with no issue. An engine bay is not water tight and you drive them on wet roads, Plenty wet gets in, day to day and the odd rinse won’t hurt it. I prefer to do so once the engine is hot though, as then everything evaporates nice and quickly.

3 Likes

Not something I would like to try but yep its clean :sweat_smile: :rofl:

1 Like

Very impressive finish from exiled Viking. I can’t say for certain but I’d wager that ‘tyre gel’ is basically silicone of some kind.

2 Likes

I use AutoGlym Vinyl & Rubber Gel - it brings rubber and plastic up like new.

1 Like

The tyre gel l use is this stuff

1 Like

Degreaser and various brushes to agitate, rinse, blow water out of crevices with a leaf blower and spray with Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care then leave to dry

2 Likes

£11.99 Screwfix. Doesn’t harm the paintwork, just pour into a old kitchen cleaner bottle. Even brings the wheels up better than any job specific product.

NO NONSENSE HEAVY DUTY DEGREASER 5LTR (88668)

1 Like

Anyone used one of those domestic steam generators/cleaners that used to be around a few years ago ?

1 Like

Handheld steam cleaners and some degreaser with a detailing brush is by far the best way I’ve found to clean an engine bay, pressure washing is good but comes with its own risks

I paid 13 quid for my handheld steam cleaner off Amazon about 6 years ago and it’s been perfect

2 Likes

update’d

C76A0A08-96FA-44FC-AFB6-F7D615F0941C

1 Like

2 Likes