engine knocking

Hi My wife has a mx5 mk3 2.0 and the engine is knocking , I think it is big ends.  So I need a good low mileage engine. according to autodata it says it is a LF engine, I have seen NC engines for sale, Can someone explain the difference in these engines, and does a engine from any other car fit this mx5?  . the car is a 2008. This will be the second engine |I have fitted to this car and it still has only 45000 on the clock, The first engine the big nut on the crankshaft came loose and lost the valve timing and smashed the engine to bits.

Just looked at the service book and it says LF engine

Any help would be appreciated

Paul

Might be worth taking the auxiliary belt off and running the engine as the idler pulleys can make a knocking noise if they are worn. Just had this on mine.

Thanks for the tip, I don’t think it is as it started a week ago with a loud knocking at first start up, Only for a few seconds . But it has now got a lot worse, it also knocks on the overrun after a sharp rev. I thought the days have gone when the big ends have gone.

You are not the first with these cars, nor will you be the last. There are threads detailing the need to keep on top of dipstick levels. Speak to Paul whatshisname? who raced them. He may have a mill lying around…if your suspicion is correct.

Will any mx5 Mk3 engine fit this car,   My engine says it is a LF type engine, and I see a lot of mx5 cars listed as NC?. could someone explain to me if there is any difference, I don’t want to buy the wrong engine.

anyone have an engine for sale?.

Paul

1 Like

To fill in the blanks above, that’s Paul Roddison who will have plenty of detailed advice

The NC reference is car model type so generic for MK3 - MK3.75, 2005 - 2015.

Bare 1.8 and 2.0 engines throughout the range should fit

1.8 = L828

2.0 = LF62

Apparently there were some internal changes made with the facelift - conrod and crank improvements included.

Make you own mind up as to why this happened but there is history of engine damage through oil starvation on the MK3, particularly with the 1.8 litre engine.

Advice generally to is keep oil topped up to the max and if you have trouble reading the Mazda standard dipstick, buy a replacement that can be more easily read by some people.

Give the internal upgrades to the later car engines, if you have a choice a later engine would probably be a better bet.

Worth getting an explanation from a Mazda dealer about these upgrades and when they were introduced for the 2.0 engine.     

1 Like

Thanks for this question Paullap… I have the same knocking as you described and smelly smoke… Burning oil and I’m advised that it’s the big end and a rebuild could be a huge waste of time if the engine is ripped apart and unknown other defects are yet to be revealed.

I’m looking for a replacement engine for my 2006 1.8 mk3

Could you please let me know if you found a provider?

Have you looked at Mazspec. I orderd some parts from them this week they where with me the next day. Phone number 01543 579790. I gave them a call very helpfull .

I think 6 years on is a big ask for answers on this one from certain members.
My advice would be click that link in the posts above taking you to Roddisons, a phone call. He’s very helpful and can advise the way to go. He’s in Sheffield BTW, maybe something closer if too far away, members can advise on that.

Yep, thanks for the help. Paul was very helpful.

Cheers