Engine management light :-( MK2.5 VVT 1.8

Hi Guys!

Having had a great weekend, driving home tonight we appear to have an engine management light after a slight judder in the engine when on the bypass, engine sounds ok at idle and driving. I’ve ordered an OBDII reader to hopefully find out what the issue is but still very new to all this.

We have had the car for about a year and she has just a couple weeks ago had her full service and MOT including all the bells and whistles (sparkplugs etc). Does anyone have any advice and have had similar issues or could pop over to have a look for me please (live out in Fenton near Saxilby).

Thanks

Scott.

Hi Scott

You have done the correct thing, ordering an OBDII reader.
without the information this will provide diagnosing this will be total guesswork.
The light on means there is a stored error code. Do not be tempted to disconnect the battery or otherwise attempt a reset until you have read this code.
Hopefully it will be self explanatory but if not come back on here with the code for further advice.

1 Like

Well that’s frustrating the light has now vanished and the car seems fine, I’ll get the ODB-II setup and linked to my android car radio to track any changes and will feed back here if I get any codes :slight_smile:

Funnily enough…

Yeah, I know that one lol

Interestingly, I got the same error code for general misfire P0300 and found a crack in one of the coil packs where the car loom connects to the pack, ordered a pair to replace the whole thing, I’ll keep you posted.

I got a Bluetooth OBD-II which is now connected to my android radio in a permanent setup using the Torque app, which seems to do the job perfectly to track this.

Reconditioned coils fitted, test drive imminent, does anyone happen to know the normal coolant temp when driving for a 1.8 VVT?

test drive seemed good fingers crossed for the long drive on Sunday!

Well that’s frustrating, so have replaced the HT Leads and Spark plugs still having a single misfire p0300 code a day (not per drive). The Coils appear to be OK and are the 2nd set I’ve had on there with the same issue. I’m unsure what to try next short of getting a garage involved :-/ but think they will struggle since it seemingly happens at random at low revs, when the weather is damp and only once a day.

So since this original post I would say really its only happened a dozen or so times, does anyone have any ideas what to try please?

Have you checked the ECU?
There could be water ingress that is starting to cause an issue.

I haven’t, can I remove without breaking the car, whereabouts (roughly) would I be looking?

Yes, I would not want you to break your car although it does appear to be partially broken anyway. It is under the passenger footwell carpet, so sill protector off, carpet lifted and then the fun part if its a virgin…protector plate off which involves cracking two security fixings. Until I had to deal with these myself on a rusty car for the first time I considered removing these easy, how wrong was I. SDS drill with chisel fitting smoking away after minutes of application before they let go…good luck!

OH! that sounds like a wondrous adventure…atm I’m wondering if this is actually an injectors or MAF issue after some discussion with others.

Anyone know is MAF cleaner (Liqui Moly 4066 Air Flow Sensor Cleaner 200ml) is ok for the mk2.5s MAFs i’ve got the stuff but never used it

Discussion with others makes my day, especially on the occasions when they are correct and I learn something:-)
Try a replacement MAF, not a bad shout. My issue with that is the one-off nature of your problem, not persistent which does not fit with MAF.
Cheap to buy/even cheaper to borrow; have a go. Cleaning, unlikely to work, they usually produce an error code and…the rest is K&N .

1 Like

new question would there be any point getting some second hand injectors to send off to be cleaned/refurbished? Or would this be more a case of looking at the injectors currently in the car? We can’t be without the car as it’s a daily driver.

Update:- Added some Redex Injector cleaner and the issue so far has stopped, and we are on the 2nd tank of fuel since :-/

1 Like