Engine Oil Removal (Suction)

1. My model of MX-5 is: nc
  2. I’m based near: __bromsgrove
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: _ Engine Oil Removal_What would you recomend as the best/cheapest suction aid for removing engine oil through the dip stick tube

I’m intrigued ? Is there a reason why the sump drain option won’t do ?
Genuine question ??

My thought is that it’s another effort of car designers to stop people happily tinkering with their cars on a Sunday afternoon and instead us all having to take our cars to a garage and pay to have even the smallest task done.

Seems pointless to me.
You have to get under there to change the filter anyway. So removing the drain plug is hardly difficult really.

2 Likes

The garage overfilled with oil on a previous car, so I thought I’d try removing some through the dip stick tube myself. I bought a pump for the job and it did work, but it took a long time as it was tricky to get a continuous flow of oil.

I bought an oil pump on impulse from Lidl for about £15 I think. Thought it would come in handy one day.

It is still in its box untouched :rofl:

For many years I’ve used a Pela 6000 extractor to suck the used oil out of my Mk.1(s) and I very much recommend it. As the oil filter can also be changed from above it just makes the job so much quicker and easier. Honestly, it’s a no-brainer; once you’ve tried it you wonder why you would ever do it the hard way again.

My top tips are: Pump out the oil while it’s still hot and flows like water as it takes much, much longer with cold thick oil and when you’re looking for an extractor on eBay or wherever they tend to be cheaper from a chandler than from a motor factor. (Boat owners like them as boat engines often either have terrible access beneath or don’t have a sump plug at all.)

2 Likes

I have nothing against them, but as it’s an NC and noted above, you’ll need to get under there to change the filter anyhow. With that in mind is there much of an advantage?

I don’t like the suction method, I tried it on my Jag XF that had a dedicated suction tube. Easy to do but I wanted to see how much oil it left behind. I removed the sump plug once the suction tube stopped delivering and got about half a pint more out of the sump plug. So suction only would leave half a pint of old dirty oil behind to contaminate the new oil. No thank you.

2 Likes

At last a reply to my original question will take a look at the one you used

Ok here we go!!! i am fully aware on how to service my Nc which i have done!!! i just wanted a suction pump to add an extra oil change in between services
I also have a new ford focus with a ford service plan and wanted to do the same as i intend to keep this car for longer than the lease period and prolong the engine life
I have access to at cost oil so its cheap no brainer

There is much to said in favour of using the normal sump drain plug method.
As said above, you have to get under to remove the filter anyway on the NC, and it’s good practice to allow the last drops of oil to fully drain via the plug; they usually contain the dirtiest part of the oil, and the action of lifting the front of the car for access will incline the sump plug to the bottom and rear, to where the last filthy oil will flow. I usually let mine drain fully, even when warm, for at least 15 minutes. It takes me that long to remove and replace the filter at least.
You car, your call…

1 Like

Okay fine and thanks. :+1:

If you’d put all that in your first post you would have been given more appropriate answers.

There seems to be a growing trend these days to just post up a vague sentence, let everyone waste their time for free and then go back and move the goal posts.

2 Likes

Far more of the crud and soot comes out when you drain warm oil from the bottom. You also get to clean the iron filings off the sump plug and spot any foreign deposits that shouldn’t be in there.

Suggest you read my first post again? didnt ask about servicing just about a suction pump for removal of oil

The original post asked a perfectly simple question about “what tool will do this job” but most of the responses were “why would you want to do that?”.

Changing the oil when it’s still hot means contaminants are still in suspension so they come out mixed in the oil. I can understand, for example, Mrbarry’s preference to use the sump plug drain to get the very last bit of oil out of his XF rather than the suction tube which the engine manufacturer provided to do the job, but I hope we can also at least appreciate that Jaguar designed it that way and probably know what they’re doing.

2 Likes

A suction pump is for servicing. Half the required info was missing, you added it in much later on, it’s all there in black and white.

An answer is only as good as the question asked.

What info was missing? He asked for an oil extractor recommendation and I recommended a popular one which I happen to use and like.

1 Like

Er, this:

Yet still you yourself have gone and answered something which wasn’t asked after telling us what was! Unbelievable.