Engine torque figures πŸ€”

this table is from Torque figures--NA (MK1) NB (MK2) - #2 by MX-5_OC_Technical

as you can see, the figure for cam cover bolts is displayed differently in (inches / pounds). just wondering why that would be and why the person didnt do the conversion to NM & ft/lbs.

if the range is 43-78 in/lbs, does this mean 4.85 NM or 3.58 ft/lbs - 8.81 NM or 6.5 ft/lbs?

I would use this list instead:

https://www.miata.net/garage/torque.html

Cam cover bolts require low range torque wrench, where the range is not quoted in ft-pounds. Use of the common range torque wrench would not be accurate.

1 Like

torque wrenches in inches / pounds seem to be somewhat rare. anyone got one and can hit me up with a link to where you got it? :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

To convert a Nm figure to ft/lb, simply divide it by 1.356.

1 Nm = 0.738 ft lb

Dave

1 Like

Brought my Kamasa at a show.

Look for any quarter inch drive torque wrench. They are not rare at all (ie. Machinemart). Yes, you are going to need quarter inch drive sockets, or rather, 1 10mm socket, because you won’t use anything else with it.

1 Like

found some in inch / pounds :grinning:
just looking at the increments on them now.
when it says 78, so that means setting it at 80 would be no good?
also 43-78 seems a very wide range. anyone have a favoured figure for this?
what about right in the middle 60.5? would that be ok?
neither of the tables mentions doing the cam bolts in stages (like the cylinder bolts).
is that right? you do them in sequence but you can set them to the final torque straight away?
:hushed:

I would suggest it is more important to use a genuine Mazda Cam Cover gasket where it is being replaced. Yes, 2 - 4 times the price but they work.
Torque with the right tool, perhaps a Rahsol Dremometer will assist but it will not resolve fitting inferior aftermarket parts that from my experience DO NOT WORK!

1 Like

i got the genuine mazda one :grinning:
can you help with the rest?
what would you set yours to?
thanks

Nice one buying the right gasket. I tried about 3 aftermarket ones from good sources, that failed before learning that lesson. I am sure some people must have got these aftermarket gaskets to work; rub my nose it it by all means:-)
Have you applied a little silicone Mastic into the 6 right angled corner bits to the sides of the cam journal covers and CAS yoke?
43 - 78 inch pounds sounds right, so 5 - 9 nms. My Dremometer works from 1 - 10nm with a quarter inch drive. Its been a while but off the top of my head 7 - 8 nm. Most just use a t-bar with quarter drive and just repeat the bolts tightening sequence three of four times until all are comfortably nipped up. I will warn you that the bolts are made of cheese and will snap easily if overtightened, don’t ask:-) Do not use a standard torque wrench for this job; it will be a sledgehammer to crack a nut

1 Like

Tightening sequence. I would set to middle to lower end setting. Monitor after for leaks, and tighten middle to high setting as needed, in sequence

1 Like

thanks folx! i appreciate very much :smiling_face:
i note what you say about the silicone. i’ve got some.
special thanks for the sequence diagram + notes on levels.
:blush: