Engine will not turn over - NA Auto

Hi all,

Went to start the car earlier, ignition comes on (lights on dash etc) but engine will not crank - makes no attempt. I am suspecting that the car is not in park (auto box). However I am unable to move the lever to any other position.

Can anyone confirm that I should be able to select gears/park/neutral with just ignition on without engine running - logic tells me I should- I just cant recall

The car was driven fine in the morning , parked up. Then problem occurred when I tried to move the car later in the day. Battery is good - on trickle all night- Headlights come on fine - don’t dim as I try to start which makes me think that no attempt is being made to turn over. Hence thinking it’s locked out by the auto box

Thanks

Nigel

Hi

im not over familiar with the NA auto box 

but is the gearstick release button feeling ok as you can shift out of park that would be my first look 

also im sure it hasnt but a lot of autos these day require you too have your foot on the brake when shifting out of park 

just a few general ideas .

High tooslow.  I have an automatic car but not an MX5 and I have just checked it out, and you can’t shift it into any gear mode without the engine running. I have no idea if automatics are all the same but I would be inclined to think that they are. Hope this helps. 

Hi thanks for the ideas, button feels fine, but just can’t move the lever. Tried foot on brake too. Have auto discovery that requires brake but I can move that without engine running but ignition on. Really ‘feels’ like it’s not in P but can’t move it . Think car will only turn over in P or N 

Hi thanks, Yep just tried my Disco auto and can move that. Got to think that I should be able to move the lever in the mx without engine running but ignition on. Looks like gear selection is currently preventing starting

It might be an idea to get someone to rock the car slightly backwards and forwards with handbrake off just in case the weight of the car is pushing on the box.

Remove centre console and you can see the lever end of the cable .It may have popped off.Try to activate the cable end by hand.Its the gear lever lock mechanism.

Hi

just tried my 1992 1.6 auto, and yes you can shift into any gear mode without engine running, just ignition lights, obviously with immobiliser off

Eh, try the lock

Hi, I’ve now managed to release the lever- don’t know how or why but it just did.

However car still does not turn over - or even make any attempt or noise. Considered it may be the immobilizer but I think that is being disabled ok because  if I try a key without the immobilizer tag on it - ignition does not come on and I can’t move the lever. With the tag - ignition on and lever moves

It is like the car starter circuit is completely dead. replacement good battery tried. All lights and rest of electricals work

Hi thanks, think that will need to be checked. I can now move the lever - but maybe it’s not selecting/changing gear ??

Hi thanks, that’s confirmed what I thought. Although I’m now past that point - but still can’t start it

Not sure what you mean ?

However I seem to be past the lever not moving stage but am wondering if the lever is actually moving anything on the box and it’s still not in park. Console off job I guess

The NA auto has a cable that runs to the ignition block - this is unique to the auto. I am thinking that this cable has come adrift or snapped so the ignition is not in a position to start the car.

If the cable has come adrift at the ignition end, it is probably fouling the gearchange somewhere.

Take the console apart to confirm and probably need to get to the ignition, so clamshell trim off that as well.    

Hi thanks for that

Coming to the conclusion it may be the inhibitor switch. I know the lever is changing gear selections based on the fact that I can only remove the key when the lever is at P, lever at other positions prevents this. Also moving to R lights up reverse lamp

I need to check the switch from under the car apparently which will now have to wait until next weekend. I’ll also check the cable you mention but think this is the ‘release’ from ignition switch to allow lever movement.

So next weekend it will be.

Steering column shroud off - check all wiring cables

Centre console off - check lever movement, cables - whatever I find under there !

Check inhibitor switch on gearbox from unerneath

Quick update, had been unable to progress due to personal circumstance. Have now made further checks and it is the inhibitor switch preventing voltage to the starter.

I can start the car by shorting across the solenoid

Will have to now wait until I can get under the car to check the inhibitor

Thanks to everyone for assistance