EONON Q04pro Double Din head unit

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2006 Sport with Bose

Have just installed an EONON Q04pro head unit with a connects 2 facia kit.
Nice fit and finish.

It has pre-outs so the Bose amp and speakers are still being used ( no resistor adaptor needed )
Steering wheel controls all working.

Much nicer to live with.
DAB+ Radio ( This has picked up 105 channels and holds signal very well )
Music from micro sd card ( 64gb card with 205 full cd’s loaded on it )
Torque app ( requires bluetooth obd dongle )
Hands free calls.
Wireless or wired android auto
Wireless or wired apple carplay
GPS antenna so the unit can detect speed without needing the speed pulse signal from the car.

2 Likes

nice.
quick question do the steering wheel volume controls still work?

Hes said in the bio - Steering wheel controls still work

Yes - the volume buttons work, the mute button works, the skip fwd and skip back work.

The only one that would not work was the “MODE” button - guess the head unit does not know what to do with it.

However - because the head unit learns buttons easily - my “MODE” button now answers and hangs up phone calls.

1 Like

Some units have “smart learning” function, Havent seen that many good reviews, is it any good??

1 Like

So far - can’t fault it at all.

Yes - it has a smart learning function to assign buttons.
Unfortunately it does not know what to do with the “MODE” button.
( Perhaps because the home screen has all the shortcuts to the other functions )
Not a problem - I just made my MODE button the answer and hang up phone calls button.

The DAB+ has picked up loads of stations - More importantly - it has a very strong signal on Absolute Rock.

The GPS antenna has never shown less than 10 satellites when driving around.

3 Likes

UPDATE.

So after a few weeks of use - I realised that the wireless android auto - whilst easy to use - seemed to eat the phone battery.
This meant having to plug the phone in to charge it.

I have now installed a brodit active cradle and pro clip so the phone is supported and connected via usb.
Now I use wired android auto.

The GPS antenna seems to work best above the mirror - stuck to the screen.

And just because the facility was available - I added a reverse camera

All in all - very impressed with the unit.
It has brought the car up to date with satnav when required, DAB radio, Nice clear music from a micro sd card and the reversing camera ( a nice touch with the top up )

1 Like

Nice upgrade, I’ve been contemplating a double din unit.
Looked at genuine Mazda ones but, after reading a little deeper not sure if the nav is updateable.
I also use my ipod everytime I go anywhere in the car. Does this have a rear usb/auxiliary for an ipod?

It has all the connections you would ever want.

I would be tempted to load all your music on a micro sd card - then the music player installed in the unit will play your music - and give you the steering wheel controls for skip, mute, pause etc.

Zoikes, looks complicated did you fit it yourself?
I’d end up wiring up to an ejector seat that I didn’t know I had in the car, think I’d require an auto electrician.
Looks great though :ok_hand:

1 Like

Yep - diy fitted.

TBH - most of the wires are already done in the connects 2 wiring harness so it is almost plug and play.

Hi,

Did you need to buy a USB dab dongle and antenna/ adapter for DAB functionality?

How was the pre-out connected to the Bose amp in? Any splicing/cutting of original car loom?

Final question (I think!), Which facia package did you purchase? Was it the one available specifically for Bose equipped cars?

I have a 2009 with Bose and this will be my next upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Yes - DAB is a USB dongle - it came as a package with the head unit.

No cutting of the car wiring loom - I modified the adaptor loom to have phono plugs on it for connection to the head unit.

This was the facia kit ( but it is for a 2006 car ) - your 2009 car needs a different facia.

2 Likes