Erratic running

Hi, car started to hesitate today it was worse at full throttle accelerating 70 mph ISH, it’s seems to stop start power delivery at appx half second intervals, if it was a carburettor engine I would suspect debris in the float chamber, in a moment of forgetfulness I thought it might be a blocked tank vent soi stopped and undid the petrol cap and the car seemed to perform ok for a few miles then the problem returned, of course the tank is pressurised but the Haynes manual references a tank ven but it’s not mentioned in the appropriate section, any thoughts or advice greatfully received especially regarding the tank vent and it’s location if it exists ! Regards Dave

Hi Dave

What year is your 5?

Hi Ian,
It’s a 2002 MK2.5 1.6 litre,
15000 genuine miles when I bought it in march, it had been off the road since 2008 and underwent a comprehensive recommissioning it looks and drives like new apart from this glitch.
Regards Dave

I don’t know if you got this sorted but imho, if you undid the tank filler and then replaced it with the car running fine again for a few miles but only a few miles, I would say that was consistent with the vent being blocked, as the vacuum was released and then built up again.

Hi there 999to5,
Yes I got to the bottom of it, literally, it was debris in the tank, I removed about a large mugful the problem returned again after a short while and I had to do it again but removed by less, I think it is rust from all over the tank from having been off the road for 11 years and I plan to do the job again once a few more tankfuls have been through it !
Many thanks for your input.
Kind regards Dave