Eunos G-ltd auto trans

Hi folks,

Just bought a 1995 Eunos G-Ltd, great colour,  satellite blue

I have a question about the auto trans, my car has a hold button on the shifter but I see some imports some have an O/D function, was it a choice, when did any change happen?

If it doesn’t have overdrive is the trans 4 speed? or the standard 3?

Thanks

Sorry can’t help you with you auto request but welcome to the ‘Blue Gs’ there don’t appear to be many of us.

As you say great colour, only seen one other in my six years of ownership.

Dave 

Thanks Dave,

Very happy with this Eunos, that original colour is good, the hood and seats in blue also, really nice.
Going to keep it as an auto and as original as possible.

Regards

Anyone got experience with the 1.8 autos?

I can’t drive mine until I sort some damage but curious to know about the auto trans, as I said before mine has a hold button where others have an O/D button, anyone else got the Hold button version? is it 3 or 4 speed

Had mine 15 years now.

Basically 3 speeder with “4th” being essentially O’drive.

HOLD function is fun! You can play tunes with it.

I use it for both *engine braking & locking into “out of bends” sprints. then release it. 

• Only when I’m caning it silly through Trossachs or Great Glen twisties. I’ve seen an estimated 14mpg + or - over the years doing it for a few gallons but who cares.

I find it best to ignore Hold going town/ urban and let it slush around as designed.  

Thanks,

so it will be a 4 speed with a hold function in any gear?

How about the difference between the O/D and Hold models ?

So much to learn :slight_smile:

All I know is 4th wont engage till Hold is off.

I cannot advise on the O/d vs Hold models I’m afraid. 

What I can tell you is…a determined slusher will match a manual in practical open road “spirited sessions”.

Been there, done it over many years.

Happy to meet for a brew to compare notes when your is up and running. Your not far away. 

Just in the last 20% of a refurb. As Kev says…Mk1s rock. Always will.

Hi,
Not 100% certain, but I have a 90 1.6 auto. Mine has o/d button. But i would say it is the same as Scottishfiver explains and I use it the same.
Holds off the top gear

Can be used as a quick change down, instead of flooring it for kick down too. Press the button, drops a gear 

Brill.

Now I know as well. Cheers.

Can I ask what wheels you have, they look lovely

[quote=tooslow]

Of course you can. These are a set of rather rare JDM PanaSport 14" I bought in rather sad condition, but had them cheaply sanded & painted ( Vauxhall alloy colour) while I was having the rot cut out, and a complete new chassis installed.

My only worry with them is, if one gets bent, the whole set is dorked as finding them (cheap) now is pretty much futile.

The JDM centres are missing, and at around £90.00 they can stay missing! I popped £6.00 worth of Amazon’s best MazdaSpeed logo’d ones on, and so far I’ve not been hung for it.

Thanks for asking. 

Exactly. And as an aside, pretty much locks out the torque converter, giving solid throttle response.

Another little trick. 

My seats were somewhat worn and tatty and finding replacements is a bit like looking for hen’s teeth. Eventually I found a pair out of a 10 AE which I think rather suit the car and are part leather to which I fitted seat heating elements.

My door cards have been replaced at some stage so have lost the tweeters but I did manage to find a blue hood cover from a Mk2, which matches the hood.

Not quite original but she is 25 years young! and I like to think of the changes as the sympathetic upgrades that Mazda should have made. 

Or at least that’s my opinion. 

Dave

Thanks Dave.

You set me off dribbling again.

Had mine six years now and a couple of years ago I had the usual rot cut out and a complete respray, they matched the colour to the paint under the windscreen header rail which was original.

She looked as though she had just rolled out of the showroom.

Scottishfiver’s wheels are very nice but unfortunately have one too many spokes if you wish to keep yours original.

Some pics of yours would be good when you get chance.

Dave

Oh trust me Dave.

The only original bits on mine left are the bonnet, doors, boot, tranny, interior and glass…just about.

But, it’s mine  and still scaring the living out of pheasants, wild haggis, & tourist Zafiras instead of getting cubed. 

££££££££££££

need a bumper

Thanks for the info, understand it now.

Both those cars look great!

Now you see why I need a front bumper :slight_smile:

Just leave her in overdrive and in drive banging your foot down lets the box do its thing and will change fast enough with her being a 1.8, if it is lit up on the dash then it is off, no light on the dash means its on, i would highley recommend on changing the diaphragm on the box simply because of age , check the box oil is still red in colour and not a brown colour and smelly…

If the selector wobbles from side to side then the top hat bushes are worn and need replacing as it can give issues with the micro switch.

http://www.mazdamenders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=7209

http://www.mazdamenders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=4790

M-m

All four gears should work correct and gear change should be quick in O/D from slamming your foot down,there should be no need to be faffing with the selector with pressing this or that button and changing the D to 1 or 2 for over taking etc, to which should kick down instantly and change with the revs as she should pick up speed quick untill back in 4th with being a 1.8, the mk 1 1.6 version is very notchey and jerky in changes and a lot slower on kick down and waits for an email to arrive to come back up the gears even with the torque range set to compensate with the engine,(The 1.8 engine is the same in the manual and auto), it is still not as refined as the 1.8 drive and change and speed, internet rubbish will find ■■■■ about owners saying mazda built them like that to fell sporty…don’t believe everything you read, the box is from a truck and also fitted to black cabs, both are a very hard wearing boxes, the MK 2 Auto is even better and a lot more quicker in kick down and banging back up through the gears with the revs, great for motorway traveling as both mine get used for, i love my manuals that are fully sorted, but i would not get rid of my Autos, as they are fully sorted in the correct way and go like stabbed rats and takes corners as if they were straight, but if you have that chill day she will chill with you , best of both worlds.

M-m