Eunos mk1 Charging light

Hello everyone,

I have a Eunos roadster 1991 Japanese import 1.6 manual

I’m having a weird issue with my car where the charge light sensor stays on.

The other week my car lost power and the charge light came on and the radio went dead and anything power related. Long story short when I checked the alternator, the lower bolt was hanging out about 2 inches and the thread was worn down this made the belt loose.

So I fixed it with a new bolt got the belt tight again charged the battery no worries.

​First time I took it out the light came on after 1 minute drive. so i drove it back left it till tomorrow turned it on light was gone but I tightened it a bit anyway went for a 5 - 10 minute drive no problems turned radio up and lights as well.

Turned it on today and the light is on again. So I got my multimeter out and took some readings got 12.5 when off on the battery, turned car on and it dipped to just over 10volts for a split second so battery seemed okay (it is quite new). When the car was on i had about 14.5v I turned on the heater full whack then radio and lights even hazards it didn’t go below 13v. So now I’m thinking the alternator and battery is okay its just the light now?

I took this photo

QARkcZA.jpeg (4608×3456) (imgur.com)

This is where I’m thinking its just a weird light issue you can barely see the charge light and heat light (The charge light is on because of a fuse gone in the cat I believe) When I did break down the light was bright and I realized if I put the key in to turn the electrics on the light is on full brightness like the handbrake

What could this issue be cars seems okay is it just a weird light fault? Should I still be worried its not charging?

Thanks

Your belt still good? I’m thinking if the original bolt was stripped, there might not be that much thread left on whatever it was tightening into.

The belt is less than a year old as my last one was stripped, it still looks good

No, is belt tension being maintained? Even with a new bolt, is it holding ok?

Sorry I read that wrong, the belt is still tight and turning. The light comes on straight away too, even straight after I check the belt

Grounds are always a good place to start check for corrosion and make sure they have good contact. Check the contacts at the alternator if you haven’t already as well.

1 Like

I would agree with grumpybadger re checking the alternator connections, if the alternator mounting bolt had become loose the earth and multiplug wires could have broken due to the vibration.
A gentle pull on each of the wires should prove a bad broken connection.
I would remove and check the plug and earth for corrosion anyway.