Eunos Roadster VS 1998 immobiliser and ECU problems

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for an advice on my 1998 Eunos Roadster VS - the problem apparently relates to immobiliser and ECU… (according to the workshop that is currently trying to fix the issue) Perhaps anybody encountered a similar issue in the past?

The car, as mentioned, is japanese1998 Eunos Roadster VS - I bought the car with an aftermarket immobiliser fitted by previous owners. The car didn’t have any bigger issues (apart from being visually “tired”), needed good service and proper cleaning. After I bought the car and before I did the service I test-driven it for around 100-150 miles - no problems spotted.

I bought the car on Friday last week, then did some servicing (fluids, filters) on Sunday. After the service I let it run for a while, no problems spotted. I decided that it would be a good idea to take a closer look at the battery and it’s surrounding, so I unplugged it, cleaned up the bay a little and reconnected the battery back. Since I reconnected the battery the car doesn’t want to turn on - the engine cranks but never starts. Two AA engineers took a look at it and both said it’s the immobiliser’s fault - there is no spark and the fuel pump doesn’t start. No error codes or weird behaviour, everything looks normal on the dash.

So on Wedsnesday the car was towed away to a local workshop that specilises in car immobilisers - I asked them to fully remove the immobiliser from the car as I didn’t want any further problems with it. Today I received two calls from them - during the first call the informed me that they removed the immobiliser from the car but that the problem still persists and that they will keep looking. Few hours later they told me that they suspect that the ECU unit was flooded and that it is a cause of the problem.

I have no doubt that the roof or the plastic trim around winsdshield was leaking at some point as the insulation under passenger’s carpet was a bit damp. During the service I also discovered that somebody drilled 4 holes through the floor…that’s an elegant fix isn’t it?

The big question is what should I do now - the workshop tells me that they can get the ECU out, test it and attempt to repair it. Is it indeed possible that the ECU is faulty? The car was running absulely fine for last couple of days, right up to the moment when I disconnected the battery…

No idea what to do as I never encountered problem like this…Should I look for a replacement ECU? Would any other ECU from 1.8 MX-5 mk2 fit?

Much appreciate any comments!
Phil

4 holes where? A fairl few imports have rollbars before they arrive here, andall the Jap rollbars fit to the floor.

Have a word with MX5 Bitz - quality MX-5 parts at discount prices

(Rhino666 on the forum), as there are many options for ECUs. For a start, you say you have a 1998 Eunos Roadster, but no Eunos Roadsters were made in 1998. I would assume you havd a non-pop up like model, but some people have called Mk1s 1998s or newer, based on the UK registration.