Exhaust Recommendations (Non Cobalt,MX5Parts)

Hi,

Currently have a 1994 NA8C sr1.5 import and been looking at which exhaust to get, been doing my head in.

I might be picking up Racing Beat Manifold at some point (unless I take the plunge on either a pitcrew or maxim works header) to go along with my magnaflow 200cpsi sports cat; now then catback wise I’m torn on the following exhausts just wondering if anyone could shed some light, I don’t really want anything that will drone too much or be “anti social”:

• Car Make Corns v2 (w/ 70mm tip)
  • BRAVE (60 or 90mm tip)
  • RS Factory Stage Type S (esentially their N zero 2 but with a larger silencer)
  • Fujitsubo Legalis R

I really ain’t a fan of the mx5parts or cobalt exhausts personally, I’m going to be going ITBs at some point so really want something that looks the part but also flows better, if I did go the route of mx5parts or cobalt I’d end up chopping the tip off and rewelding another as I hate the fake surrounds, much prefer a straight cut tip.

You will probably get more of a response from Mazda Roadster Miata Enthusiast Forum - Where the Roadster fans are! on the Japanese brands.

The Japanese exhausts will generally be pretty droney. I’m not sure there is any benefit of a Japanese manifold over RB manifold. UNLESS you consider the EGR fitting; anything made for the US and UK markets will have an EGR male fitting, and you will need a plug for that on a Roadster. Also, I’m guessing you fitted a 370-375mm cat. That won’t work with the RB header. You will need a 440mm cat. MX5parts did, for a while, a little adapter. I ended up fitting a 440mm cat. This will be the case for any header designed for US/UK.

Quality wise, I’d rate Racing Beat headers over and above the Japanese brands, only because I have seen their Anaheim facility, and the fellas who actually made these headers. Very strong attention to detail. My experience has been restricted to what RS*R or Tanabe headers came with the car. In both cases, the Japanese approach to dealing with manufacturing variabiity by fitting a Goodrich flexi joint has suspect longevity (though longevity in excess of the typical length of MX5 ownership). Currently mine has a MX5parts 1.8 heaer, since 2005. Its needed a little repair to a cracked weld near the cylinder head flange, but otherwise been good. Wish I had alcohol washed it before firing it up though.

Headers generally quieten things down, though with all of them you may experience a bit of a buzz when lifting off.

Also, I’ve had experience of stainless steel exhaust welds failing, and it was handy to be able to pick up the phone to the manufacturer and get a free replacement sent out overnight. If you buy a Japanese exhaust from an overseas supplier, you’ll get zero support, and even support from a distrubutor might be less than expected, because they are not going to be holding much in UK/Europe stock.

The only Fujitsubo exhaust I’ve had was mild steel, and it rotted off.

I recommend the Racing Beat full system (manifold and cat back). No droning, not antisocial, and extremely well made. Plus they have a presence in the UK. Expensive, but you get what you pay for.