Exhausting

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC

So the exhaust suddenly sounded louder yesterday, with loads of vibrations and rattles through the cabin. At least we know why now…

1 Like

I think that is a relatively common failure point, happened to my NC as well, you got a much better angle than I did for your photo though!
Sold my NC since then so don’t have the paperwork for the cost any more otherwise I would give you a rough estimate.

1 Like

Hmm, you might get away with something like eg an “Exhaust Repair Sleeve”, essentially it forms into a tube with one or two big clamps, with Gun-gum to fill in the gaps.

Measure up your pipes before buying!!

They are available in a variety of styles and sizes for both halves and possibly not an expensive fix for a year or two, but only if that rusty looking pipe is sound elsewhere. The weld usually goes first because welding changes the crystal structure in the metal.

1 Like

Or if it’s a keeper have a stainless system made up.
I also bet there will be a few of those sections second hand lying about from people that have done the above. :+1:

1 Like

£60 repair section with small rear silencer from mx5 parts

1 Like

Various options to choose from. :+1:

1 Like

Thats just a cheap fix, obviously the rest might need changing depending on what he/she wants to do (upgrade maybe)

1 Like

We have sleeved many, it’s quite common…
We charge £50+vat to give you some idea

1 Like

For anyone interested the exhaust was welded the next day by the garage next door to the tyre place that looked at it. Cost: £25.
Did it fix it? Yes. Will it last? TBC!

Hope this thread helps someone if they have similar issues.

2 Likes

great result!

That seemed like a perfect excuse to go for a stainless system! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Glad you got a cheap and easy fix though!

Not Wingerworth tyres perchance?

Yes :+1:t2:

I’ve taken a few old 90’s mercs there for tyres and alignment. Recognise the ramps and the dirty windows.
Always had a very good service from them.

1 Like