Experiences With GC Fabrications?

Anyone on here had any issues with GC Fabrications as a company (customer service/delivery etc…)? Or any positive experiences? I don’t want to slate a company prematurely as there are always the unlucky customers. Just want to get a feel for if I am the ‘unlucky customer’ experiencing the bad side this time or if I perhaps chose wrong…

GC Fabrications (Grant & family) are a great outfit, they occasionally have issues with suppliers (e.g. powder coating). But the product they produce is first rate. I bought a roll bar for my NC, it fitted perfectly.

Can’t speak more highly of them.

Have only ever seen good reviews, was looking to buy a gcr3 very soon myself

1 Like

I had seen similar good reviews Benji (Mike is another!) - which is why I’m confused at my experience :slight_smile: I can understand, and have heard the powder coating issues issues that you mention Mike, but i’m just getting zero in the way of communication - and every time it’s “oh - you’ll get it on x date” (3 ‘x’ dates have gone by).

I’ll stay positive as it sounds like i’m the unlucky customer! Will also keep you posted Benji, for when you order yours!

Cheers

1 Like

I’m sure bofi had a sale on their cages last week so maybe just severely backlogged? I’m sure it’s not malicious either way, good parts take time :joy:

1 Like

:joy: oh god - did they? definitely in trouble then, i’m about 2 months into this order now haha! Very true - and also patience is a virtue (doesn’t stop me itching to fit shiny new things to the mx5 though :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Quite right man I thought the same tonight as I was waiting on paint on the sill drying, got the ECU whipped out for a shinier replacement, my alternative to a gcr3 was a full cage from Mr cages, 900 odd quid for a full unpainted bolt in cage made from good stuff seems not 3 bad , bit of a jump up from the price of a gcr3 but they look braw!

1 Like

I have a GCF GC2 bar - and I’m very pleased with it - but likewise had a somewhat protracted delivery experience. However, if I swap cars or ever need another MX5 bar I’d order another GCF one as I think they’re as good (and probably better) than anything else similar that’s available. I also found them helpful when I called them.

Everything i’ve read about them says their product is brilliant, but customer services are hit and miss.

I couldn’t be arsed to wait and so went with another brand. Word of mouth says GCFab is the best in the UK, if you have the patience. I received mine in a custom colour within a week.

Did you get your bar in the end?

1 Like

Looking at the google reviews and number of items listed on the website as back order, I would say this company is a victim of its own success. Could blame Brexit but the poor delivery and communication go back further than that. Perhaps order yourself a Christmas present for 2023?
The psychology of reviews catches me out, 4.1 sounds quite good but with 32 x 5 star, 1 x 4 star but 9 x 1 star I would expect a far lower overall average rating figure. Perhaps make more sense with a 10 star system where 0 stars was allowed?

1 Like

Their customer service is utterly appalling, but you can’t knock the products. Make your decision based on that.

1 Like

I’ve got an order outstanding from the end of June for a GCR3. I’ve spoken to Grant a number of times and each time been promised that the bar will be sent out the next day or the day after, which hasn’t happened. I can understand a business having backlogs but I don’t like to be lied to. The reason I asked if the OP got their bar was because I’m considering cancelling my order / attempting a charge back on my credit card.

During the middle of the first lockdown I saw a recommendation for their fire extinguisher bracket on fb and ordered one. It took several telephone calls and months to arrive. As with all good things it was certainly worth the wait as the weight and quality of the craftsmanship, laser cut, is something to behold.

when did it actually turn up, I’m 6weeks into my order?
thanks

It finally showed up after many texts and calls after 6 months. Unfortunately two of the spreader plates were missing which took a further 2 months of badgering to get.

Grant (The G of GCF) does answer the phone, and usually replies to text messages. Chase, chase, chase is all I can advise. I only got my bar when I started ringing/texting about twice a week, follow up every promised dispatch that doesn’t materialise. I was much to laid back for a long time, which is why I think it took so long. It’s only when I reached the point of despair and started to really pester that I got the bar.

Having said all of the above, the bar is now fully fitted and I’m very happy with the fit and quality.

thanks for that, what do you think the issue is, over demand and lack of staff?
Mines been very nearly two months now, I’ve no doubt I’m going to be so pleased with it in the end though!!

I think the issue is that it’s a small operation and Grant’s a great fabricator but not so great at running a business.

Hello all.
Just picking up a gcr2 now. I suspect some of the communication issues are that his workshop is based in the ■■■■ end of suffolk and the mobile signal is at best shite.

2 Likes

Note I don’t own any of their products but I think the fact that even used rollbars fetch a higher premium over alternative bars that appear just as good is a good sign. A TR Lane rollbar costs £300 but often you can get them off the used market for £150, but if you want a used GC2 (£300~ new) it’s still commanding £200-250.