Extended warranty on ND 2.0 2018?

Hi all,

Just had the 3rd service and first MOT. All good, no problems and very happy. The warranty will expire next month, so do I extend or not, is it worth it? I bought the car with the warranty in place so never really looked to see what was covered, I imagine most 2018 ND warranty’s are the same?

Thanks
Del

Hi M,
Just a little clarification: Are you talking about a service plan to cover the cost of the next two services? Or are you talking about an extended warranty to cover the cost of repairs and failures for two years?
All new MX5s come with 3 years warranty, the two things are different.
:heart:

My mistake, oops :roll_eyes:. This is the service plan, I didn’t read it correctly. The last thing I asked at the garage was about the warranty, they said they would be in touch. Naturally I assumed “wrongly” and the email was in fact about servicing.
Note to self, read things properly :wink:
When I know the quotes for extending the warranty I’ll post again.
Thanks
Del

1 Like

£367.10 (including Breakdown Cover) seems to be the standard price. It’s what I paid this year on my NC/Mk3.75, and somebody else on here paid the same for their ND.

Service plans can be good value, but add up the cost of the services you are buying and see if it’s good value.

Also make sure they give your unused payments back if you change car.

Do protect against inflation also.

Incidentally worth getting your gearbox oil changed at 3 years, my dealer charged £90.

I have a 2020 ND2 that was 3 years old in July, bought by me in Jan 23 so had just 1 year warranty.
I have just been quoted exactly the same amount of £367.10 for an extended warranty and European Roadside assistance.

So over 2 years later it’s the same price.

Now the hard bit…. Worth the punt?

There was one big known issue with earlier NDs to do with the rear suspension arms or something, along the lines of even if one side went wrong there was a big disassembly job to deal with it that was quite expensive. Other members please chip in with the correct facts. I think Mazda resolved it but it may not have been until the 2019 facelift. But my sense is that this is the main area you need comfort on when making such a decision. Otherwise from what I’ve read here it’s a reliable Japanese car in all respects. There’s the rust aspect too but doubt you’d get cover for that - best off with a regular underwashing routine (power hose and angled wand) or even undersealing it for maximum reassurance. Hope this helps.

Spherical bearings, there are a few different aftermarket repair options now that are not main dealer expensive or require a long downtime.

Thanks IanH.

Out of interest, when was this resolved by Mazda at the build stage (if ever)?

If it’s any help, talked about here (below) and Roddisons in Sheffield service them at quite a reasonable price.

Relatively recently I think, can’t say definitely though at some point in 2021 comes to mind.

Some info here about spherical hub bearings

A Mazda service plan on my new 3 was £899 last June, which shows you how much things have gone up. It may be a bit cheaper for an MX-5.

I don’t think Mazda do an automatic warranty extension if you keep using dealer service after 3 years, so the service plan and extended warranty are quite separate things. Suzuki extend the warranty for up to 7 years if you use dealer service.