F1🏎 Round and round and round

I know.
Shared.
Clare always came across as a thoroughly patient, decent, indeed sincere lass, but innately not vicious or in possession of the killer- boss ( and cynical) animal needed.
Or, maybe she was in bits but a consummate expert in glossing over it.
Frank, on the other hand…well you’d not like to even play chess!
Either way, it’s the end of an era and I wish the whole family well, and thanks for so many proud if historic British F1 winning days.

Qualy what a debacle, are drivers egos getting in the way of track discipline, there’s no need for it, some drivers had already been to the stewards. And as usual the Mercs romp away with it without even getting near track limits.

Monza is a circuit that can penalise the car in front that is making a hole in the air for the cars that follow. So nobody wants to be first, except of course the Mercs that don’t want/need to get tangled up in the mess behind.

F2 race was good today, won’t spoil the result for anyone still to watch it, 10 different race winners this year.

1 Like

Well that didn’t work! Mercedes ok with the change, biggest loser was Honda. Ferrari still at the back.

Monza 2020 - Well that was different to what was expected!!!

1 Like

So the secret to unexpected results is I go on holiday and have no access to watching it! Looking forward to the All 4 highlights on the Web tonight…!

Last French winner? Olivier Pains, Monaco -1996?

That was a good one, worth watching.

But then, a driver starting first would start the race without being able to gain points from overtaking during the race. This would quickly lead to all teams sandbagging according to complex algorithms.

Really, I think you are watching the wrong sport.

Does it not suggest to people that since most of this thread is about how F1 could or should be improved that there is an inherent issue with the sport?

3 Likes

I think there is some opportunity to get drivers overtaking. I am sure that Hamilton had a great race - he knows he will win the championship, but this race was an opportunity for him to not worry about tyres and go for it. He managed lots of overtaking and if he had not started his charge so far behind the group and with a full race, I believe he would have still managed to finish in the top 3 and have fun doing it. In addition it makes it a better spectator event. However it was great to see Sainz trying to close down Gasly - and great to see that Gasly got a 1st place that he was never going to see otherwise. I remember Bernie saying years ago that they should have sprinklers fitted at tracks and if it gets boring, they shoudll switch them on. This was the effect of LeClerc crashing, as it changed things around and also with Hamiltons error, which should not have happened… Was the best race for ages!!

1 Like

PEREZ out VETTEL in .
Vetel is replacing Perez at Racing Point ( Aston Martin) Next year. Was all on the cards I suppose. :racing_car:

Mugello- wow, what a track, it makes those horrors like Bahrain , Sochi and Singapore (inter alia ) look like the contrived rubbish they are . I have not been there , but have driven close enough to it to have gained an impresssion of its location. Utterly stunning , and with Imola(which I have been to ) also scheduled I am enjoying some GRAND Prix racing this year - just a terrible shame there are no spectators . Monza without tifosi is like spaghetti without sauce

2 Likes

Wow what a race, stop :stop_sign: start stop :stop_sign: start, wondered wether there was going to be enough cars to finish the race. Red bull having a roll a coaster of a day and the Ferrari team :racing_car: carrying on their downward spiral. Not much change at the front though.

It’s a pity that Max got punted out at the beginning, things could’ve been even more interesting. :thinking:
Someone on the commentary suggested that the F1 bosses replace Monaco with Mugello, seems like a great idea to me. :+1: :heart:

Ditching Monaco would be 1st on my list. Unutterably boring.

1 Like

Max would have retired any way. Reason he was there was loss of power

1 Like

I used to love watching F1 (Live and on the TV) when it was good racing.
The Senna/Mansell/Prost era :slightly_smiling_face:
There seems to be far too many picky rules, warnings, fines, complaining, objecting, court appearances etc etc. Safety is paramount but motor sport is a dangerous sport by definition as they/we all know.
People moaned about Bernie, but jeeezz what a mess it is now.
Tyres dictating how the race goes and therefore negating some of the Millions spent on high tech racing gadgets.
Give a good set of rules and some decent tyres and just go racing and stop all this nonsense of managing tyres and having a street carnival procession on Sundays.
Yes I know technology moves on as it should.
Moto GP manages pretty well to put on a good show of racing still.
I find watching World Championship Chess far more entertaining these days.
Just an opinion.

1 Like

Cheers Richard, I hadn’t realised that as I’d only seen a quick summary of the race when I posted that!

Mugello is wonderful , but so is Monaco , although it seems fashionable to sneer at it . Yes , overtaking is well nigh impossible , but if the sight of a near 1000bhp racer being driven flat out around city streets fails to get the blood pumping , then it is time to watch another sport . Many drivers also rate it as one of the most challenging , and rewarding tracks of all - it goes back to 1929 and is part of thevery fabric of Grand Prix racing

1 Like