facebook

No interest so no longer needed.

If you do a search you’ll find there already is a page. It’s just a holding page sign posting PP on Facebook. Speak to your AC about it and with agreement you could take that on and use it fully. But it is down to the AC. I would post a link to the page but interested in how easy it is for you to find with a search…

Not me, I no longer have a Facebook account and I no longer want one.

This is a very interesting thread, and I hope it gets a wide audience because it’s not just a P&P issue. The communication conversation is summed up in just a couple of posts.

As an AC the regular subject of communication crops up and it’s something that seems to inspire equal amounts of evangelism and contempt.

This forum, Facebook, Twitter, e-mail, the Newsletters in STHT, Google in all its forms, other forum platforms, even the post or telephone - for every person who says it’s ridiculous/odd/backward that an Area doesn’t have a presence on one or more of them there is someone who decries them as the work of the devil (and an infinite number of views in between!)

Of course, even with plugins & IFTTT and other websites of its kind, each of these platforms wants to keep itself to itself and so out data is theirs and theirs alone, so the AC who wants to try and please as many people as possible finds themselves having to post the same information in umpteen different places using umpteen different methods and devices. Other ACs, quite understandably, say ‘tough’ and members have to use what they are provided with. Neither way is ideal, and yet it’s an issue which causes great passions and has no obvious solution

I’m a Google-user myself, with an Android phone. To my dismay Google now has 5 (five!) different messaging apps (Messaging, Messenger, Hangouts, Allo & Duo) available for Android which overlap each other on many features but all have things missing. Add to that Facebook Messenger (boo! - see, those passions!), What’sApp, Snapchat, Instagram, Skype etc. and what’s the best way of communicating with my friends, family & colleagues? I know no one here is suggesting instant messaging as the way forward for the OC but it’s an example of the difficulties facing ACs and the OC in general when it comes to communication methods in 2016.

Maybe that hoary old chestnut about using carrier pigeons might be relevant after all. 

Karl

What did the original post put up on Friday say please?

Words to the effect of would you like me to set up a Facebook page for you.

Thanks for the kind offer Chris, but we already have one,  it basically re directs people to the existing Peaks and Pennines web sites.

I am not in favour of promoting its use further, and agree with the concerns raised by by Karl