Fastback hardtops thread

Like a number of owners I’ve always looked longingly at the NB coupes that were produced in limited numbers in the early 2000’s. There seem to have been a number of companies making fastbacks over the years but in very small numbers.

Autokonexion in the US:

However this company seems to have disappeared now.

Then there’s the Lightyear hardtop: (Australia)

Their Facebook page they say from 2018 they’re not making fastback hardtops anymore :frowning: Lightyear Carbon Fibre

A Targa Fastback made by unknown? (some reference to a company - Panos in pictures)

Found a reference to this on a company here that still seems to sell them: (Hardcare Design - EU)
Facebook - search for Hardcore Design

Very interestingly this seems to have a hatchback rear:

After some research it appears that the boot section can be an issue with some of the kits having a hand-removable boot that you physically take off and lay on the ground when you open the boot. Also lots of stories of fit & finish issues which I guess you’ll get when you loose the factory seal around the edge of the bodywork/hood edge.

Then there’s the Italia roofs which I’m guessing are available as part of the entire kit, but look very well executed:

This one uses buttresses rather than going over the boot so should in theory be a lot stiffer.

Another Simpson Design one, but this time with full fastback boot, but obviously bonded in for more strength I guess

And a third Simpson hardtop, that retains a flat boot

I will add more information on other fastback hardtops as/when I find it but please feel free to contribute.

(all photos found on the web and property of their respective owners)

6 Likes

I think the hard top VAZZ Corp are working on looks amazing:
Saw it at JapFest Silverstone last year on Mantas Šliogeris’ car (pictured above)

Photo credit, more photos also available on Thunderwood Racing

1 Like

There was a company in Nottingham that had something for the NB with a touch of XKS/RF about it, ie flying buttresses.

Garage Vary:

Back in the day, GV got hold of OE Mada Roadster coupe panels, when you could get them, and made an all steel NA coupe

I suspect the wide body treatment was the pragmatic solution to how you get NB panels to fit a NA.

1 Like

Wow, that silver Simpson Design one looks fantastic!

You got $5000 to buy one (a couple thou to ship), that’s what they cost. I’m not sure they actually sold any in the 10+ years since they were launched.

If you were to reprouce one, the question is what glass would be used. If a “flat” glass (or maybe its gently concave), what would be the donor? Presumably someone would want a demister, which limits sources that can be diamond cut to fit. Maybe something from a pickup truckman top.

Honeybourne has an interesting top for the MGF

https://honeybournemouldings.co.uk/mgfhardtops.htm

Very true! in reality getting anything over this big from another country is going to cost a small fortune to ship & taxes as you say. Whilst the Garage Vary one looks good I can’t help thinking that’s because it’s different from what we know. If you’d never seen an MX5 hardtop before and you put an OEM Mazda hardtop + the Garage Vary one side by side, I suspect it would be a 50/50 choice.

Great post!

Possibly because its as close to a factory NA coupe as you can find.

Early Mazda North America concept, circa 1992

1996 Show Car M-Coupe, never intended for production

A 1990-91 Mazda Japan study, some serious work into looking at different side window treatments, using a cut up Canadian spec car. It used the rear glass from a MX3.

The other side

The M2-1008; got very close to production, with its Kamm tail, but canceled due to the Japanese recession of the mid-90s. This is a recreation Mazda put together of the original prototype that they use in the mocked up brochures.

2004 factory NB coupe; completed Roadster shells were sent to Mada ET&T t have the roofs attached.

A homemade UK effort (someone called Roland, the car went through a lot of iterations)

A UK kit car, that used I think old TVR moulds

Thanks, there’s some great posts here - the factory NB is one of the best lookers I personally think. So far it seems that the targa fastback is the only one that still is available to buy.

Another UK made one off

what’s happened behind the back window, looks like it’s melted in the sun?

aerial

1 Like

Some old themes here

For sale at the moment https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/9246919

That’s going to be £45,000 landed, and its had a repaint…

Type E variant (E Type, geddit?). 2.98 million yen, so about £19000 to buy in Japan. I estimate £30000 landed (based on guessimate FOB/local agent charges). Factory body kit.

A modified alternative:

Very long spec sheet (1.9 stroker engine, IRTBs etc etc, 3.98 million yen, so £26k to buy, ~£40k landed.

A Type A version (another factory body kit, including wheelarch extensions)

https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/12/700040242130211222001.html

4.2 million yen, so £27k to buy, £41k landed.

1.6 version:
https://www.min-chu.com/car/detail?ucid=38504

That Hong Kong red car. Its also here, from 2019, or at least the same photos.

These are retail prices; when they go through auction, they’ll be a bit less. A rare variant, but there is always one or two for sale at any one time. Is it THE Roadster variant to collect? No so sure. Rarity does not guarantee value. The M2-1002, only 100 made, seems to be cheaper than the M2-1001 (300 made), an sometimes the values can be eclipsed by ultra low miles standard cars. Then there are the Mada resto cars, both theMadaspeed NAs from 2004 and the current in house restorations. These will comman a premium

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.