Fault code shows EGR Valve needs replacing

Can anyone give me an idea how much it will cost to have a new EGR vale fitted to a 2010 MX5 2ltr auto please. Is it a difficult task?

Did mine on a 2010 manual gearbox a couple of years ago, took me about 90mins but I followed advice and only changed the electrics. To change the whole egr means loosing coolant and is a pain to get to (I’ve been told). I don’t think the electrics are available on there own so you have to pay for the complete egr.
If I did another electrics only change I could reduce that time so hopefully a garage could do it a bit quicker.
As for how much it will cost depends on whether you go to a main dealer or a small garage, their labour rate will differ. For the price of an egr valve, do a search on eBay for a new unit and use that as a guide.

thank you for the info.

What theactual fault
.ine had this snd one of the things was told was egr
Then possible swirl flaps

My EML came on
But was bit lumpy taking off

If i reset the light it was fine
Then came back on
Is ur running fault similar ?

1 Like

I’m sure I read on here that a Mondeo valve will fit and is much cheaper. So just get one of these and remove the electrical bit and swop that over. Quicker and cheaper!

Yup, exactly what I did. The egr valves are almost identical, only the coolant pipe points in a different direction. The electrics are held to the main body with four screws, one is pain to get a screwdriver too, I used a screw bit in a 1/4 drive socket. Even then I had to tap the screw with a very small cold chisel to start it moving.

I have been told by a friend that a low battery can cause this fault, does anyone know if this is possible?