Fiat 124 Spider: The ND's Italian cousin?

HI Folks?
I have always liked the look of Fiat’s retro 124 Spider.
It is admittedly a very attractive roadster, just like its predecessor. This enhanced by its MX5 heritage. I am very happy with my ND, but maybe looking at a change next year and wonder whether the Fiat would be a credible option? I face a dilemma as I feel as though I should stick with Mazda and purchase a later model ND, maybe try a 2.0 litre although the 1.5 is brilliant! Any advice much appreciated, hopefully I won’t be Black Listed for musing about the attractive Fiat! Best Wishes Andy

Hi Andy,
Are Fiat still producing the Spider?:thinking:
Personally I’ve always quite liked the look of the 124. However, Fiat use their own 1.4l turbo engine rather than the Mazda powerplants so no normally aspirated version.
Original comparisons suggested that the Fiat was set up more for cruising than quick response. Apparently it felt softer and less agile than it’s Japanese cousin. If that appeals to you then I expect you might quite like it.
HTH
Guy

Its an orphan car. They stopped making it, essentially because it didn’t sell well. I’d be doubtful about support in the medium term outlook for the Fiat motor. Appalling ad campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jr21fygxqk

Hi Guy,
Thanks for your swift response, Fiat no longer produce the 124 Spider for the UK market.
I have heard the Fiat is more of a cruiser, I really like the way my ND drives, which is similar in feel to my 1st MX5 from many years ago a 1991 NA. So the Fiat might not be for me, I might take a test drive just to satisfy my curiosity.
Best Wishes
Andy

1 Like

Totally agree about the advert, PR mess to say the least!
You do make a good point also about the availability of parts for the Fiat as time passes. One thing you don’t get with any of the MX5’s as we have a decent Parts network.

Is the Fiat 124 Spider a credible alternative to the ND? NO! The only credible option is another ND. The ND is a nimble sports-car and readily available with good back-up and supply of spares and accessories. The 124 is a discontinued cruiser with a limited access to spares and back-up.

4 Likes

I bought a FIAT once, never, never again! Everything that is said about the cars and the dealerships I can confirm. The dealership even said to me without prompting, “We will take your name off the mailing list”, even they know how bad they are.

The ND’s deceased Italian Cousin…!

1 Like

I had a test drive in a 124 at a Fiat dealership before I bought my mx-5 ND, as I quite liked the look of them. First impressions weren’t great. Large overhangs meant difficult to judge position of car and worse still was the turbo lag. Went well on boost, but very unresponsive below about 2000 rpm. Came away largely unimpressed.

Thanks for all the responses, I feel more reassured to keep the faith! My 5’s have never let me down plus provided ultimate enjoyment. The last time I ventured “left field” was a brief interlude with a 54 plate MGTF 1.8 which sadly ended with overheating problems and a very costly repair. I feel another ND is the answer.
Best Wishes
Andy

3 Likes

I had a 2015 ND SE-L Nav 1.5L which I loved (Recently lost - see separate thread), then in 2019 I got a 30AE which is a 2.0L and quite different from the earlier car. Both great examples of the marque and nothing comes close to either for the money. Stick with the ND, you know it makes sense!!!

1 Like

I bought my 2018 ND2 2L SportNav+ back in last July between the lockdowns - It’s just brilliant and made for enjoyment! - And as a family of one, is good for scenic route down to Aldi a couple of times a week…! Didn’t realise how much fun the supermarket run could be… :smile:

I like the retro look of the Fiat, except for the DRL ‘spectacles’, even if it is a pastiche. I’d like it in primrose yellow, maroon or some other 60’s/70’s colour. I might even have bought one had it had the MX-5 engines, but I wouldn’t even consider it with that 1.4 turbo that belongs in a family hatchback.

The weather was great today and coincidently we decided we needed essential supplies that necessitated travelling further then the local Tesco, so we took the 5. I have missed it.

1 Like

Our American cousins will tell you that “Miata is always the answer.”
Not only are they correct on this, but it’s also a nifty acronym on Miata.
The only thing they got wrong, of course, is calling it a Miata in the first place!

It appears that Miata translates into “Prize” or “Reward” - An Old High German Term apparently…! :slight_smile:

Mazda Miata means reward from the God of Light. Matsuda went along with the company name becoming Mazda, after the Persian god. This might have been becuse of the Hiroshima bombing. At the time, the bomb was dropped on his birthday. He had treated himself to a birthday haircut pretty much at Ground Zero then headed off to the factory, Hiroshima was flattened, but the factory escaped significant damage, He might have thought it ws divine intervention (though it appears it was due to an error by the bomb aimer).

Of course the German word isn’t exactly Miata, its miete. I’m not convinced by this explanation. This was a company, when it didn’t name cars after mysterious acronyms (Mazda Experimental number 5), called cars “Savannah”, “Bongo Friendee”, “Carol”, “Capella” etc, I suspect it was computor generated, because it sounded Italian. They never did anything as obscure since the MX5 MIata naming.

There is another claim:

Notably, in the past, in Japan, there was a tradition of feminized car names. The claim is that in 1982 thereabouts, a family from Hawaii met up with a senior executive from Mazda. He was taken with the name of the little girl, Miata Lewis-Harris, who’s name was derived from a Ivorian name, Amenata, which means “she who makes everyone happy”. Letters were exchanged, where the Mazda person said he would like to use her name for a car. Who knows.

“Eunos”, as in “Eunos Roadster” is a contraction of Eu (latin for joy) and numbers, ie. a collection of joy.

2 Likes

I have had several Fiats -Unos and Uno Turbos - and travelled in many more, from (original ) Cinquecento via 124, 125 , Puntos and Pandas . Every single one was a hoot - sure, there was the odd hiccup, they are Italian after all , but they were far more fun than most of the domestic grey porridge .

But the 124 is a problem for me. The original , in both Coupe and Spider form , was exquisite , at least until it was ruined by big bumpers , a la MGB . But retro new cars like the 124 Spider (and Fiat 500, Renault Five , Alpine A110 etc ) juts plunder an earlier model’s look and ruin it . What a poverty of imagination if your stylists have to exhume the grave of a long dead car in a doomed attempt to implant its DNA into a pastiche of the original .

One reason I far prefer the ND is that it looks like nothing else - maybe a hint of Corvette C3 from the driver’s seat. or even the Fiat Dino Spider . It is small , with tiny overhangs and its appeal is boosted by a revvy NA engine. The 124 may have more poke , but like ever other car it is a 4 pot turbo and God above, have you heard the awful gargling drone the Fiat makes ?

5 Likes

Yes similar to yourself I bought my ND 1.5 just prior to lockdown 1, which meant WFH and my weekly trips to Sainsburys which I looked forward to as it meant taking the 5 out for a run. I am beginning to like the idea of looking at the 2.0 litre, even though the 1.5 is really nice and punchy!

1 Like

Good point John; I see where your coming from, I’ll add a further example if I may the VW Scirocco a belting motor in both MK1 and MK2 modes, the latest version, probably is a good car, but hasn’t the attraction of the earlier car.
I think Mazda have cracked that; they can create a world beater with the original NA,
then produce a dynasty of models, although different in style remain true to their values. Currently enjoying my NB 2000 Icon model today, which still handles really well despite her age and purrs along the motorway like a big old cat!
Best Wishes
Andy

In my opinion the Abarth 124, with the Cobra exhaust, sounds far better than any stock MX5, although I agree the Fiat doesn’t sound as nice. If you were to go for the 124 I would strongly consider an Abarth over the standard Fiat. More power makes for a more exciting drive (not just for cruising), the looks are more “exotic” and the exhaust sounds great. Parts availability may become an issue but there are many parts interchangeable with the MX5 and a good amount of after market suppliers too.