Final drive oil change 2018 2l RF

I am about to change the final drive oil on my 2018 2l RF . Do I need to use the expensive Mazda long life oil or will a similar spec Halfords oil do the job?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2018 2l RF
  2. I’m based near: __Coventry
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __differential oil

I used the Mazda one as it is not too expensive at £21. There is no alternative listed in the Mazda manuals so I played safe.
:heart:

I use Miller’s CRX LS 75w/90 NT+ for the differential which is a fully synthetic oil and cheaper than the Mazda stuff.

Most oil manufacturers have a recommendation page on their web site where you can enter your reg number and they will suggest which of their products to use. Most oil manufacturers either do not make a recommendation for the Mk4 diff, or say something like “refer to technical”. They do make recommendations for other areas of the car so read between the lines.

1 Like

t might be worth looking on the Castrol website and putting your reg into the system. I’ve recently replaced all the oils in my ND and they even have LSD oil available. Sourced all the oils from Euro Car Parts.

75w 90 full synthetic gear/final drive oil meeting API GL4 -GL5 spec is what’s required.

As an example…

Or the Millers mentioned above.

I use the Castrol in my NC, that’s suitable for the ND diff too.

The key is to change it regularly, I do mine every 24 months irrespective of mileage.