Finaly an MX5 owner just took me 25yrs!

Hi, Happy to say I’m an MX5 MK3 owner at last! 25 years ago I first drove an MX5 and instantly wanted one! But I had a young family who needed things more than I needed a car and I needed a van too… but both my boys grew up and I’ve changed job and now work at my best mates garage were we do restorations, service and body repairs from Ferrari’s to MK1 Mini’s Love all the cars we get in but my love is the MX5, So I bought my MX5 last weekend and the roof as been down more than it’s been up!, The body and interior are in surprisingly good condition minted wheels, brakes and calipers and that is where it ends! Underneath is not so good rear sub is full of rust, solid but rusty and all the bushes are knackerd so I’ve ordered polly bush replacements and now searching for a reconditioned rear sub just to free up ramp time as it takes a week to send off and have my mine powder coated and returned. If anyone knows of one I’d be happy to to swap old for recon and cash or have mine powder coated and returned as a replacement? Thanks for reading and look forward to adding to the group.

13 Likes

Congratulations the car looks sharp in silver hope you get sorted and keep on enjoying the 5 :+1:t2:

Welcome, and enjoy

Not cheap but worth contacting them to see if they have one? https://www.mx5city.com/rear-subframe-mk335/

1 Like

Congrats and welcome!
In a similar position myself - 1st drove a friend’s MX-5 around 25-26 years ago.I helped him choose and buy it. But he only let me drive it once for about 15-20 mins because he felt I was revving it too high - clearly did not understand the purpose of an MX-5.
Anyways, I finally bought mine 6 weeks ago.

2 Likes

Looks really fab.

The rust is annoying but almost unavoidable - sounds like you’re aware and dealing with it properly though. Enjoy!

3 Likes

This made me chuckle because it’s the sort of thing I would get upset about - revving the car too high or driving it with ‘spirit’ - even though I know it’s designed for that! I treat mine like a museum piece which is silly of course but it gives me joy…

1 Like

I wasn’t even going that crazy - cos I knew it was his pride and joy - just pushing it a little.
The guy then bought a Nissan 350z - and drove that the same way, followed by a Porsche boxster - again the same way.
Just as well he wasn’t a passenger in my Honda S2000 - with its VTEC rev range - he would’ve cried!

2 Likes

I’ve been in contact thanks for the heads up

3 Likes

They deffo need screaming! I’ve had it on the limilter already and tend to do use it like that regualry

Yes, its quite addictive that turbine howl eh :+1::sunglasses:

Ah but it wouldn’t have been HIS, so he wouldn’t have minded!

He He… Nice… I’ve actually owned mine for 25 years! Bought it in May 1998 and still have it. It’s probably the only car that I doubt I’ll ever get rid of. My wife tried to persuade me to change it when we had kids but having explained things to her we instead bought a third car for non-MX5 days. It now lives a pretty pampered life as a summer car.

2 Likes