First Track Day Experience

Was at Blyton Park last weekend for mine and my 2008 NCs first track day.

Spotted a bulge on the rear left tyre sidewall the day before so very quickly had to get 2 replacements for the rears, only real choice without breaking the bank at such short notice were Avon ZV7s which held up very well to the track day. The Falken FK520s on the front were a little melted by the end of the day but there’s some life in them yet.

Overall really pleased with the car. It’s essentially stock but with some fresh Mintex pads and RBF600 brake fluid.

I was thrown into the deep end with rain and standing water on the track. So I kept things cautious, but I was far to eager to shift down too early which kicked the back end out a couple times. Lesson learned!

I’d go out for 15-20 minute sessions on track, any more and the braking performance was noticeably worse - probably from overheating, given the stench of brake pads. But 15 minutes at a time is more than enough!

By afternoon the track was drying out although there was always a bit of water lurking off line. As I was able to push more I noticed the aspects of the car that I’d like to change if I want to do more track days, e.g. the amount of roll into the corners is significant and maybe I should consider some bracing or coilovers in the future.

It was great being able to really push the car on track in a way which you simply can’t on the road. It made me realise that before now I really had no idea what I’d want to change on the car because all my information was second-hand, but now I’ve felt for myself I can see how track days could become a new and very expensive hobby for me :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::money_with_wings:

Here’s a video of my best lap from the day, no live lap timing, just the GPS data from a GoPro but it’s great to get an idea of lap times https://youtu.be/KmALk2SIjZI?si=oGiUc5VVZjvb7gUz

9 Likes

You’ve cut your teeth now, well done.

It would be interesting to follow your car development if you think about it.
Hearing first hand how modifications improve (or not) the car is very useful for anyone considering similar bits and bobs.

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

Great fun and as you say addictive.

1 Like

How much of that was down to it being your first track day and the twisty nature of Blyton?

A novice track day with tuition at a longer, faster track like Oulton Park or Donington might alter your thinking before you spend. Having said that, it’s generally considered that earlier NC’s will rock and roll a bit more than later ones.

1 Like

Probably a lot was down to the track as there’s a couple medium speed 90 degree corners that really make the car roll. That said, I’m definitely not at the car’s limit, so as you say it might be better to get a better feel for the car at more tracks.

Oulton Park was one of my favourite tracks back when I used to be on iRacing so it’d be great to try that one out in real life.

Thanks Guy! I’ll definitely keep posting on the forum of any developments on the car in the future

1 Like

You may want to investigate ARB’s rather than shocks ond springs

1 Like

Save your money on upgrades - spend it on doing more trackdays and possibly get some tuition. You wouldn’t believe how fast an experienced racing driver can punt even a very humble car around.

6 Likes

Agreed. Think Sabine Schmitz.

5 Likes

Glad you had fun. And a great photo there too!

I’d also echo those thoughts around holding out on any upgrades. Certainly experience a few different tracks first.

You also think about it in terms of continuing to experience the car as-is ‘for free’ without putting any more spend in. Coupled with the fact that if/when you do make changes, you can really savour the differences and pick up on those nuances :+1:

Cheers,
Steve

1 Like

Also reminds me of amount of fun offered by a standard setup in this video! :clap:

Ha say goodbye to your wallet :money_with_wings: .

Rev matching will sort that out. These cars don’t make much power below 4k, so really if you’re shifting down at the right time you’re always going to be skipping the tire without rev matching. So your shifts were prob good and just need to practice footwork.

1 Like

What John Aston said :+1::+1::+1::+1:

Best upgrade is tuition - these cars are more capable than most of the guys who take them on track :grin::wink:

Spend the upgrade money on more track days and tuition - it’s an absolute blast :boom:

1 Like

Wow! That’s one way to convince me that I need track time and not upgrades. Donington looks like an incredible track

1 Like

Talking of Donington, I’ll just leave this here…

:raised_hands:t2:

Think Donington is good try Oulton Park or Cadwell!

1 Like

Donington MOT overtaking both sides. Wonder what the thinking behind that is.

I did wonder the same.

Donington is still BY CONCENT
Over taking either side works very well and it’s police’d to maintain driving standards.
Trust me it is NOT a free for all

What is the policy for finishing in terms of dusk/sundown?