Fitted a DaveFab ali header tank to my NC

After seeing BrilliantBlackBirdy’s install of the DaveFab aluminium header tank from Moss, I gave in to temptation, especially since I know the old plastic one in my NC is original and now eleven years old.

Fitting it was simple, and not a drop of FL22 spilled, provided one remembers a few simple cheats.  I also made up some poly-washers from some 1mm sheet I had, to allow that smidgeon of movement with the thermal cycling, and to protect the paint on the cross-member.

The instructions supplied with the tank are basic and will do, but I added a couple of obvious cheats.

Preparation.

I checked the spigots on the new tank for burrs and sharp edges, and smoothed them off with some fine emery.

I then checked the new tank was clean and flushed it out with boiling hot water a few times.

I checked the pressure cap really does fit as claimed (been stung before a few years back with an exchange rad.)

Made poly-washers to sandwich the new tank mounting flanges, easy with magic marker, strong scissors and a leather punch.

Removing the old tank.

Make sure it is all cold and no pressure in the system.  Replace the pressure cap fully done-up on the tank.

Remove the battery cover, to improve access.

Use a vise-grip to release the two top hose clamps and move them along the hoses past the end of the spigots.

Pull the hoses off; gentle wiggling/rotating with the vise-grip breaks the seal and makes it easy. 

Plug each of those small hose with a 3/8" (ish) drill shank and tie them back out of the way.

Plug their spigots on the old tank tightly with some screwed up paper to prevent later spillage.

Undo the three nuts holding the tank, AND the fourth nut holding the support bracket.

Remove the bracket. This makes everything so very much easier.

Lift the header tank clear of the battery and power steering reservoir, and tilt it towards the front of the car so that the hose underneath it is accessible AND the FL22 level is below its spigot.

Use the visegrip to undo and move the clamp, and then carefully persuade the hose to come free.

Lift the tank out taking care not to spill the FL22 out of this last open spigot.

Installation of new tank

I then placed the poly-washer spacers on the relevant studs, not necessary, but it pleases my OCD sense of rightness.

Fit the hose on the bottom spigot of the new tank, making sure it will not be stressed or twisted when the tank is back in place.  I try and set the clamp into its original marks.

Fit the tank to the two studs and fit upper poly-washer and nuts loosely.

Fit bracket, and its poly washers either side of the tank flange, and both nuts,

Tighten all the nuts in turn while checking the tank is free and not stressed.

Remove the drill-plugs and fit the two hoses.

Discover the overflow spigot is pointing in the wrong direction for the bends in the original little hose, reverse the little hose end for end and it will do. Tilt it up for the moment.

Carefully decant the FL22 from the old tank into the new one.  Return the overflow hose to pointing down again.

Is it just showing in the sight glass?  Yes!

Run the engine until the system is up to pressure and temperature; check for leaks, a torch and dentist’s mirror is useful for the hose underneath.

Replace battery cover.

Take it for a drive around the block; is the header tank hot? Is the sight glass gently oscillating in level as the FL22 circulates?  Yes!  Success.

Edit. I later took it in for the 11 year annual service and asked them to change the FL22 (and brake fluid) because they were due anyway so I didn’t need to mess about with flushing or burping it etc

2 Likes

Nice looking piece of kit, no doubt built using carftsmans skills, but blooming expensive.

The way I look at this:

ÂŁ150 - ÂŁ200 for the aluminium tank.

ÂŁ50 for the plastic one.

Consider the plastic one will last 10 years (maybe longer… mine is 14 years old).

I could have 40 years worth of plastic tanks before i broke even.

Will the car still be alive in 40 years ??

Will I still be alive in 40 years ??

Will we still be allowed to drive cars in 40 years ?

Will petrol still be available in 40 years ??

Probably no to all.

It looks neater than the shiney aluminium ones though

1 Like

I wasn’t thinking of the cost of it for the replacement, so much as the reliability.  Another plastic one might well last another eleven years without a problem and it would also see me out.

However, I like the security of a tank that isn’t going to fatigue and let go to wreck the engine, and I trust the ali a lot more than the plastic. 

The possibility of a hose leak I can live with, as they tend to be more progressive than the top popping off the plastic tank.

The most positive note was that SWMBO gave it her blessingand thought its looks (after I took the big label off) were definitely worth the money! 

She now wants something similar to this to replace the plastic washer bottle, but that can wait for another day.

Knowing how easily tempted you are I’ll just post this:

https://davefab.com/shop/mx5-miata-washer-bottle-mk3-nc/

Nice write up Richard, I forgot all about inverting the overflow hose

1 Like

Thanks for the temptation and comment.

However, I’ll not be buying their washer bottle because it doesn’t support the air-con pipe or the wiring loom.  The NC air-con pipe is already a bit ‘waving in the wind’, and with that mounting gone it is much more likely to vibrate and fail.

I noticed that. It’s a small company though so they may be up for attaching a bracket. I might ask when I have some money to spend…

1 Like

Been meaning to reply on this thread, many thanks for the ‘how to’ :+1:

I even managed to created a few washers as per your instructions (well my wife did with her crafting gismo) lost very little fluid.
My original tank looks in good nick around the neck but who knows, if it cracked sometime later.
Looks nice and neat in there.:+1:

1 Like