Fitting a centre brake light to luggage rack on PRHT

I have fitted a MX5 NB luggage rack to my recently acquired 2.0 Sport Venture (14 plate), with the raised part facing the rear end of the car, otherwise the retractable hard top roof would clash with it. I have ordered a centre brake light from ebay to fit to one of the cross members of the luggage rack but I was wondering if there was an easy way to wire it in to the rear brake lights?

The wiring for the existing centre brake light is under the flap immediately behind the rear window, this flap raises up and down to allow the roof to be raised and lowered. However, there is a bulkhead separating this area from the boot, so it is not easy to feed a wire through.

Has anyone tried this before? The wiring loom you can get as an accessory to the soft top luggage rack is not compatible with the hard top.

Very grateful for any advice

Thanks

Russ

Hello.
I’m of no help I’m sorry to say, but having the same car as you and wanting to do what you have done could you please post a picture or two?

Thank you.
Regards.
Rich.

Rich

There you go. The rack is a genuine Mazda accessory for the Mk 2 which I bought from ebay a while go in as new condition, inc instructions (happy to share these if you need)

The rack fits fine on the Mk 3 and I have positioned it so I can still lower and raise the hard top without it clashing with the rack (c 5mm clearance). I have just taken all the boot linings outs to see where I can wire in the new rear light.

Thanks

Russ

Thank you.
I like it. I’ve only seen one other and that was on a USA site, God knows what one.

Regards.
Rich.

Rich

Just an update for you. I have successfully installed the wiring loom (from mx5 parts) by cutting off the connectors as they were incompatible with the hard top (soft top only) and spliced it into the existing rear centre brake light circuit. The location of the slice is adjacent to the existing centre brake light cable connection under the rear flap immediately behind the rear window but on the far passenger side. The connection remained intact but I cut the wires on the brake light side of the connection and installed new connections and threaded the wiring loom through a gap into the boot. The other end was then fed through the existing rubber gromit (for the boot interior lights mounted on the underside of the boot lid) close to the left hand boot hinge and terminated using the superseal waterproof connector supplied with the wiring loom. I had to order an identical superseal connector from ebay and use the male connection for the cables coming from the new centre brake light. It is this part that I will be doing today.

Hope that helps

Russ

Hi Russ
Thank you that’s great.
It certainly does help.
Have you some more pictures please.

Regards.
Rich.

Rich
See attached pikkies, I didn’t want to drill holes in the rack so I attached the brake light with plastic ties.

If you would like further info, please get in touch

Hope that’s useful

Russ

1 Like

Thanks once again Russ.
Much appreciated and very helpful.

Regards.
Rich.