Fitting front fog lamps on 2014 NC 3.75

A few lessons learned when fitting fog lamps to a Mk3.75 NC 1.8SE from 2014 this morning.

There are 4 parts required:

1. The outer trim & bezel
  2. The lamp itself
  3. A holder for the lamp which screws to the inside of the bumper.
  4. A suitable stalk for the steering column. Mine came from a Mazda 6, found on eBay.

I didn’t realise that the holder was required, bought some RX8 lamps from eBay, and discovered I didn’t have everything I needed.

Installed in the unmodified car there are two plastic parts; the exterior trim panel, and an interior part which holds the wiring plug in place. One of the screws holding this part also holds the exterior trim panel on. No new screws are needed to install the fog lamps - just reuse the screws which you’ll remove in taking off the existing trim.

On the right hand (drivers) side, the only wiring is for the connector to the fog lamp.
On the left hand (passenger) side, there’s an additional wiring loom clipped on to the internal “holder” part. This easily removed with a pair of long nose pliers.

The wheel arch liner isn’t held on by screws as seen in some videos; it uses an expanding plug type which just pushes into place and is easily removed with a forked trim tool.

I needed only 4 tools:

1. A forked trim removal tool
  2. A philips screw driver (fits better than pozidrive)
  3. A 10mm socket & extension on a ratchet handle
  4. Needlenose pliers

The procedure is a little fiddly, but nothing that can’t be resolved with a little patience.

1. Remove wheel arch liner clips; I took out 4 around the front rim of the wheel arch, and 2 about hub height further inside the arch.

2. Fold back the liner to get access to the fog lamp area.

3. Remove the fog lamp connector from its’ storage place

4. Remove 4 screws and 1 bolt from the existing interior part. I immediately placed these in the corresponding holes on the new interior part so I could remember where they came from.

5. Wiggle interior part free from the bumper, and swap the screws into this part for reference during reassembly.

6. Release the exterior trim panel from the bumper by undoing the clips from the inside and pull it off forwards. I found it useful to have the new fog lamp bezel by the car when doing this to help locate the clips.

7. On the left (passenger side) there’s an additional wiring harness clipped to the interior part. I used needle nose pliers to release this (two places) and detach the harness.

8. Then you can remove the interior part entirely.

Reassembly is the reverse of removal. Some tips.

• Reattach the unclipped wiring harness on the left (passenger) side before installing the lamp holder - then you can see (a bit) of what you’re doing.
  • I found it easiest to fit the lamp holder by first loosely fitting the bolt in place - this makes it easier to locate the screws properly.
  • Note that the section with the captive nut goes behind (nearer to the front of the car) a tab on the bumper, so the bolt goes first through tab and then into the lamp holder.
  • Save the lower outside screw until last - this is the one that holds the exterior bezel in place, so you can only fit this screw once the bezel has been clipped in.

You’ll also need to change the stalk on the steering column, but this is covered well in other posts so I won’t repeat it here.

1 Like

@flobble Where did you get the mounting bracket for the fog lamp? I’ve searched everywhere for them and I can’ts eem to get them anywhere.

The RX8 ones I bought on the first attempt had the correct lamps but not the brackets, so I re-sold them on eBay. Sounds like you’re facing the same problem.

On the second attempt, I bought a spare pair of NC 3.75 lamps from eBay with the brackets still attached.

Ah well that’s a shame. I’ll try to take a look on ebay but I don’t understand how there are literally not even photos of this part online. So frustrating.

Fitted front fogs to 2010 NC in 2020.
Got the kit from Mx5 Parts

1 x SI2528 NC FOG SWITCH
1 x SI4190 FOG LAMP BEZELS, SILVER, MK3.5 ONLY
1 x SI4191 FRONT FOG LAMPS, MK3.5 ONLY

Of course the “switch” above is the replacement steering column stalk as shown

You may require a different kit since yours is the 3.75, but I would imagine they could supply??

Yeah see the thing is, I already have everything except the bracket. I previously had a NC1 front bumper in to which the lights were mounted. I only need the brackets. As far as I’m aware the NC3 bracket is unavailable from MX5 parts.

Try this guy?
He’s an Mx5 breaker…. have dealt with him successfully before, but not for a while….Im assuming he’s still in business?

Mine came with them! Is it because it’s a Venture?

This is super helpful, thanks. I’ll reach out to them!

@davidcreswell1 I don’t suppose there’s an email address on the back of that card? Aside from the number I can’t seem to find a website and the address is just a house. I’ll give him a call in the morning if not.

Sorry, no email address.
I think I dealt with these guys via WhatsApp.
It’s prob 2 or 3 years…
If I find anything else I’ll let you know

Let us know if Lund Autos is defunct…hopefully Andy is still there, if not have a look on Ebay and search under Mx5 breakers…there are several adverts for NC’s currently being broken/salvaged and one of these may have the parts you need.
Good luck.

@Conorkk Is there a reason you’ve not gone to a Mazda dealer for these brackets?

@Roadster_Robbie The Mazda dealer down the road from me is either not interested in helping me out or the people that work there are completely clueless. Every time I go there and give them my Japanese VIN code they tell me they can’t supply me or work on my car. I’ve actually reached out to mx5parts.co.uk and they’ve steered me in the right direction. I went ahead and got them ordered from Japan, all sorted for now.