Foot Pump 2022

Any thoughts on a good quality (if such a thing exists) foot pump in 2022?

I have enough plug in electrical ones which are just annoying when you’re doing a regular tyre check and may want to add 1 or 2 psi.

I want a thumb lock connection not a screw on one though appreciate these are easily changeable.

Happy to pay a reasonable price for a reasonable product, not a high volume manufactured cheap one, are they out there?

1 Like

The Michelin branded ones from Halfords are good I think.

This has served me well for years.

Slightly updated design now I think. They certainly have a good weight to them.

1 Like

My Michelin foot pump is still going after 20 years abuse…

They appear to have got lighter duty and now screw in
A shame, as that one of Rob’s looks ideal.
Perhaps a used or rather pre-owned but unused - bargain had by someone.

1 Like

That’s a shame, I have one sitting unused with that attachment (it’s rubbish in other ways too), the screw on fit is just rubbish to use.

My in service one is a halfords single barrel which is over 40 years old and should have been retired quite some time ago (re item referred to above).

1 Like

I always use a bicycle Stirrup pump for topping up afew lbs. I even have a small one permanently in the boot for emergencies

3 Likes

I have a Michelin one from Halfords (presumably more recent than the one above) and it’s hateful in almost every conceivable way.

The gauge is digital. Never buying one like that again. The battery has often gone flat since I last used it, the LCD is unreadable at the natural viewing angle (standing over it), it times out and switches off in almost exactly the time it takes to unscrew the fiddly valve attachment and screw it onto the next tyre’s valve and once it recalibrated itself in use so I put 10 psi too much air into three tyres.

I actually took the first one back as the plastic clips which hold it closed for storage broke almost straight away. Wish I’d asked for a refund rather than a replacement.

1 Like

This also scored decently in the Auto Express test so will likely go for one. I don’t rely on the built in pressure gauge on any pump or air line, using a separate Race X dial one.

2 Likes

Looks quite similar to the Michelin one and reasonable price
I’d still sit around and pick up a Michelin old skool one though, if it were me looking.

I find my digital pump with PSI presets a boon and 100% accurate. Given I do both our 5’s tyres weekly, I no longer have to expose myself to filthy petri -dish -public hoses to do it.
Expensive…for a reason.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oasser-Inflator-Compressor-Rechargeable-Inflatables/dp/B08FM5BLN6/ref=sr_1_77?crid=36BG3MF9O1Y0L&keywords=car+tyre+inflators+and+compressors&qid=1668948061&sprefix=car+tyre+infaltors%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-77

I find my digital pump with PSI presets a boon and 100% accurate. Given I do both our 5’s tyres weekly, I no longer have to expose myself to filthy petri -dish -public hoses to do it.
Expensive…for a reason.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oasser-Inflator-Compressor-Rechargeable-Inflatables/dp/B08FM5BLN6/ref=sr_1_77?crid=36BG3MF9O1Y0L&keywords=car+tyre+inflators+and+compressors&qid=1668948061&sprefix=car+tyre+infaltors%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-77

Lazy? Guess so be it I’m a chronic heart failure patient as of last September so I’m into stuff that won’t kill me…yet. :smile:

Yes, my bike stirrup pump will go beyond 6 Bar, so is quite adequate for a miata.

David

2 Likes

I use my high-volume cycle track pump which I use for pumping up my mountain bike tyres. I have found it far better to use than many of the poor foot pumps I have used in the past. Every foot pump I have had ends up breaking or skittering around on the ground when you try to use them.
Topeak Joe Blow Max II Track Pump | Chain Reaction (chainreactioncycles.com)

1 Like

Just wanted to say thanks for pointing this out. I just bought such an adapter. Though obvious in hindsight, I simply never realised that short adapters from the ghastly screw-on fitting to a quick toggle fitting are widely available for a few pounds. Better late than never.

2 Likes

Fit an adapter to the electric screw on end as we have done…

M-m

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.