Forum Log Out Re-direct

I’ve noticed recently that when logging out of the forum I automatically get re-directed to the new website. I assume this intentional but is there a setting where I can prevent this happening ?

I have to ask why this is an issue? If you are logging out one would assume you are leaving the website, and if you are leaving the website does it matter what page it directs you to?

I have nothing to do with the website build, just wondering why its a problem.  

Actually, you should already be on the new forum. Pressing log out while still on the forum, you will be returned to the home page, which you either dismiss or kill the tab if you are using a browser. Nothing odd about that. If you are using the forum URL to log in, then you bypass the home page, so you’ll never notice it till you log out. Reaction then is “Huh? - it’s different”.

I’m with you on this - on every other website I use you don’t move to another page if you log out. The only thing that usually alters is the status of the log in / log out bar .   

yes / no ? 

Is it really necessary for you to log in and log out with every visit?  A serious question, so no sarcastic, s/a answers please!

I don’t log out, just tick the keep me logged in box. Works for me  

Yes, that’s what I do!  I just wondered if there was a security problem as people were concerned about logging in/out.

If you are not on a public computer I see no reason to log out. So I am with you.

I’ve just completed a security survey (Crime watch) which asked several questions about my online behaviour.
Pertinent one was “Do you always log out of any site if you had previously logged in?” I said YES.
Seems I got top marks for internet safety concern. Go figure.

Above remarks do make me wonder sometimes why people ask questions, which I may try to answer, and I have to wait till sometime next day before I get a reply (if I get one at all). I often check as to who may be online.- ‘Apparently’. I do on occasion, consider a poster is using a computer while at work, while either not having one at home, or not having time to use it, so I do make allowance for that, but if anyone shows up as ‘online’ (at 1.30 am) then they are the ones I wonder about.

While I’m no techno whiz, I understand leaving yourself permanently logged in can mean leaving an open back door to your computer, though how - I don’t know. It’s pretty clear though, that it can lead to a virus attack, aimed at the server, witness the recent NHS server attack, which disabled hundreds of individual computers.

My son - who is a techno whiz - says “You don’t need to log out of most sites, as they auto disconnect you after a few minutes”. Which may be true, but not worth the risk in my simple mind. As I see it, it’s leaving a permanent open connection to a server, so even if you switch off at night, the program and the server are waiting for your computer to go online when you switch on, so it could be the first connection established, possibly while your security software is still being established, or being updated.

Bear in mind security updates occur AFTER a new virus is detected - never before, so if you are connected to any server that’s been attacked, it’s too late already. NO SERVER is bullet proof. At this point, that includes me. It’s a risk we all take.

Qualifier - As I said, I’m no techno-whiz, so if my impressions are wrong, then if someone can prove that, I’ll welcome it, but better safe than sorry was always my strong conviction. I always look right, left and then right again before crossing a road, on foot or in my car. In other countries the reverse of course.
Some websites can be opened without a log in requirement, I wonder why? Others - like Banks, have much more elaborate procedures - and they even get hacked from time to time. I love it when they say “You have been logged out after a period of inactivity” - while you were in the Lu satisfying an urgent need - – - It does make sense though.

OK, it’s me or maybe an iPad issue.
I tend to view the forum without logging in and log in only when I wish to post.
On both iPad and desktop I have a bookmark that takes me direct to the forum.
I’m on the desktop now and my issue is effectively no more as following a log out I see a Forum link at the top of the page.
On the iPad however one has to go looking for the Forum link and I’ve just discovered that if you switch to desktop view you can see the Forum link.
I guess now my question has changed to; Is it possible to set an iPad to default to desktop view?