Front fog light wiring

just a little advice,

i have fitted the lights I have changed the switch to front and rear do I just need to find the plug to plug them into or is there something else to do.

thanks

Richard

I used this information for my mk3…just copy link and paste

http://www.glasgowdave.com/?p=30

On a mk3 the plug is there, i would imagine on a mk2.5 it’s the same, you just need it find it.

Unfortunately the wiring is not already in place. The foglight kit is a few hundred quid because it includes a surprisingly substantial loom.

The cheapest solution I could find was to use a generic foglight fitting kit from halfords (don’t forget we get a discount),  then plumbed it into my rear footlight switch so that all my fogs come on at the same time.

The electrics on the mk2.5 lights really are complicated when you look into it, so there aren’t many solutions that I could find.

HTH 

Ben

Just noticed this thread, though it seems to have died in a hurry (or when I wasn’t looking). As I understand it, the main loom for all Mk2.5’s included any add-ons, which depending on model, were either included or not. In the case of front fogs, the loom plugs (sockets actually) are part of the headlight loom, two pin grey plugs, inboard from the headlight sockets. Another short cord is needed, to connect from this socket to the foglights. Only code I can give is that shown on the wiring diagram, which is a E307 to E309 for offside and E306 to E308 for nearside. Good luck with a Dealer? Or try www.autolinkmx5.com.

Also required (if not fitted) a front fog light relay, which should be next to the rear fog relay on the drivers side panel in the footwell. - Switch the rear fog switch on and off and trace the click. The actual switch socket should connect to the new front/rear switch, it’s a larger connector. Obviously you need to remove the old rear fog switch.

If you can’t get the fog light short cords then I would suggest cutting the existing socket off, and using a connector instead, with some twin cable to reach to the lights… Check the fog light connections, if they are ‘spade’ type then you can get anything you need from Halfords. These are crimp connectors, easy if you have crimp pliers (around £12 from Halfords) or a good pair of strong pliers otherwise. Make sure the crimp is tight enough by pulling after crimping.

If you have any questions, or need help - PM me with your email address, and I’ll also send you the drawings in PDF format.

1 Like

For the avoidance of unrealistic hope by anyone else searching for this topic,  I’m pretty certain the mk2.5 loom does not contain the loom for the front fog lights. The grey plug just behind the headlight mentioned above is I think for aircon.

There are searchable threads on this forum and mazdamender which have mulled the issue extensively. Unfortunately I’m on my phone so am unable to provide links.

Ben

Ask yourself, why provide wiring for air-con and not for other options? Air-con in the main is an unneeded luxury in a sports car. The plug I mentioned is - as I said ‘inboard of the headlights’ NOT behind them. That plug you mentioned is for an air-con condenser fan*, and on the nearside, the air-con plugs are mounted on the vertical bracket -also behind the headlights. These are actually sockets, not plugs (sockets are female and plugs are male) so any added component comes with a short cord so you can plug it in. - Just like house wiring. In that sense the car wiring is ‘plug and play’.

I have a Mazda Mk2.5 wiring manual, which covers any and all models from base 1.6’s to 1.8L Sports. and everything is available for options, - there are no dotted boxes or dotted wiring for add-ons. From memory, there is one section which shows different wiring for different components, but that’s normal in any production run. If you take the trouble to check the main fuse panel, you will find every available slot for a fuse is already fitted - including the air-con fuse. Why fuse an unwired circuit?
Because it’s already available - - - - .

1 Like

Afterthought -If you want a copy of the fog-light wiring, then PM me with your email address, and I’ll send you a copy. FOC. The proof is in the pudding.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer, but I made do with the haynes manual wiring diagram when I was trying to get mine working.

Without wishing to sound argumentative, further to the points you mentioned, the front foglight fuse is the only fuse that is missing from my fuse panel. I also can find no trace of the inboard plugs you mentioned. Also the double switch that is used on models equipped with front fogs has 8 pins, but the loom that connects to the switch on my NBFL only has 5 wires.  

Finally these threads all reference the absence of a fog light loom on the NBFL:

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst6773_HELP-with-wiring-in-a-Mk-2-5-double-fog-light-switch-into-a-Mk-2—please—SOLVED.aspx

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst3790_MK2-5-Fog-lights.aspx

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst67035_Fitting-front-fog-lights-into-a-MK2-5.aspx

I admit it does seem odd that Mazda didn’t include the entire loom. I put it down to Japan and USA not getting much fog!

Cheers

Ben

Ben - the first thread is about a Mk 2 (NB) not an NBFL. I was told by an ex MCL employee that full wiring was available on the Mk 2.5 (NBFL) so assume it wan’t fitted on the Mk 2 (NB) model. The Mk2.5 manual I have seems to confirm that.

Second thread is about tiffing Picasso fog lights mainly, with a comment at the end from Wayne saying the wiring is not in pl;ace. Notice that no-one else on that thread made a query, or made the same comment.

Third thread - ditto, with another comment from Wayne at the end, which wasn’t an answer to a question - the question wan’t asked.

From the time scale, it looks like Wayne was drawing on his Mk 2 experience, and applying it to any Mk 2 or Mk 2.5.

Two points worth mentioning, 8 years ago I didn’t contribute to the forum, I was recuperating from a leg operation and also dropped out of the Club. Restored in October 2009, but didn’t reappear till into 2010 IIRC.

I used to advise Wayne on Mk2.5 electrics, sent him a CD with several circuits on it, and pointed him at a website where h e could download the full USA wiring and mechanical manuals.  Since them we have gone separate ways.

Wayne is apparently a good mechanic, but by his own admittance, not a good electrician. He worked on MG’s before joining the MX5 crowd - wiring was simpler then.

Hi guys

I’m convinced my wiring is not there, the dual switch for front and back fogs has a different plug and I can’t see any sign of this plug behind the headlight. I can see the plugs for the air con as mentioned. 

Think I might have to start from scratch and try to use my combined switch.

Rich

Richard - maybe I confused you - inboard is a nautical term, meaning towards the center of a boat - or car.
I said ‘follow the wiring to each headlight, then check the loom inboard,’ (Going towards the radiator) not behind the headlights. Check the location drawing, you are looking for connector E307 on the offside, and E306 on the nearside - both are two pin grey connectors. It’s dark, and late at this point, or I’d examine my car and describe the location more clearly. They may be hanging down, but they are near to the headlight wiring on each side.

I’ll check tomorrow to clarify.

Rich

I tried using the double switch. It actually needs to be modified if you’re going to make a diy loom, because one of the switches stays down when pressed and the other does not. Rather than depressing this switch it’s a case of press to turn on and press to turn off. Its difficult to explain but you’ll see when you play with it. If you pull the switch to bits, you can see that an extra spring and a small bit of wire create the differing switch actions and if you can find suitable parts this can be replicated to make the second switch stay down when pressed.

In the end I didn’t bother because as you say the plug is also different. I used a universal foglight fitting kit from halfords and spliced that into my rear foglight switch so all fogs come on at the same time. I didn’t fancy having the aftermarket switch that came with the fitting kit in my cockpit. The kit also includes the necessary relay which wad also absent on my car.

HTH 

Ben

Well it’s plan B to get my fog lights working, i have looked and looked and my car definitely does not have the wiring.

i have followed wires all around the engine bay but nothing.

may have to buy a kit and hope for the best.

Rich

Thanks for your help guys.

Apparently???not a good electrician, i 'll show you what i’m not good at if you bring your roadster and its no the mentioned its keeping my mouth shut, you really need to think about what your writing man.

M-m

Hi Ben,
Just reading the thread on this subject.
I have a 1999 NB back in 2018 I fitted a NBFL front end with nrw headlights and front fog lamps. I connected this in with a bespoke loom, relays and a NBFL Dual fog lamp switch using the front fog lamp latching switch with tell tale.
I now want to use the NBFL rear fog lamp switch in my NB, from the thread it would appear for this to work I need to either source a NBFL Rear Fog Light Control Module or modify the momentary switch to latching??
Thoughts and advice appreciated.
Thanks
Regards
Nac