Front grill loose or normal?

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk 3.75 Sport Venture 1.8
  2. I’m based near: East Grinstead
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Front grill and rust

Can anyone tell me if the few mm of movement in the grill (forward and back) is normal or should it feel sold? Would I be correct it guessing that it may have broken clips and therefore needs bumper off? I have a little video but unable to post.

Also is the rust in there the “usual” amount of rust you’d expect for a 55k mile car? Sorry, it’s upside down!

Thank you

Just checked my grill, it’s rock solid, no movement at all in any direction, I tugged pretty hard! Can’t comment on the rust though as I had my 3.75 treated with Dinitrol when I bought it.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I thought as much. Sorry as I’m not able to post a video but it’s definitely not rock solid.

Mine is also due for underseal in February but I have no idea if they take the bumpers off… I guess I’ll ask them to take it off to fix the grill anyway.

Strongly recommend taking the bumpers off . The way the car is assembled means you will more than likely have corrosion there.

see:~ Rear Bumper terminal rust Mx5 mk3

for details

1 Like

I’m loving the car but finding the corrosion issues overwhelming. For the first time in 30 years I’m not driving my car because there is salt on the roads.

I’ll make sure they take the bumpers off when they underseal it next month.

Looks like there has been some plastic welding done to the central bar and also a telltale split in the outer bumper skin hence why the grill doesn’t fit correctly.

Hmmm I wonder if it’s more simple - that it has had a bump and has broken clips.
I will ask that the bumper is taken off for underselling next month anyway so might leave it till then rather than try to bodge it from the outside.