Front jacking bar

Hi,

I own a MK1. I’m looking for a front jacking bar as I am constantly working on the car and it is a bit of a pain lifting each side to put it on axle stands. The rear is fine as I can slide the jack under the diff, raising both the rear wheels in one motion. As far as I can tell, there is no option for the front of the car.

I occasionally see them for sale on Facebook marketplace or eBay. However, it doesn’t look like there is a company that still makes them.

Does anywhere sell these, or is there a reason why they aren’t more popular? My best guess is that the full weight of the car may bend or break the mounting points once it has been fitted to the car.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

George

There is a front central jacking point on the Mk1. I always followed this guide when I had mine:

The image here might help you identify it. You’ll see if circled on the far right, behind the engine tray:

Unfortunately my jack isn’t long enough to reach that part of the subframe

If you push the car on to some planks of wood you should be able to get a trolley jack under. The first few lifting strokes will be short/restricted but once you get a few inches of lift you will be away.
:heart:

Good idea, I hadn’t thought of that :sweat_smile:. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Thanks for the help!

Depends on your jack I suppose?

I have a low profile jack and found I could roll that under to the central front jack point and then start the jacking, with the jacking handle in the fully horizontal position under the car. A few short pumps would get that started and begin raising the car and then I’d continue as normal :+1:

This was with an NA S-Special running a slightly lowered ride height. No planks required.

Left over laminate flooring is good as you can build up layers and incorporate a ‘slope’ to help pushing it on. Very easy to screw and glue once you have the correct format.
:heart:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.