Front number plate Stick on type

1. My model of MX-5 is: __Mk1 - Limited Edition
  2. I’m based near: __ Lichfield STAFFS
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __FRONT NUBER PLATE -stick on type.
    Hi,
    Following a minor parking incident, I have cracked the front number plate and the plastic plinth.
    Rather than replace them, (as I’ve never liked the look of the front number plate) I’m looking for recommendations of where to buy a stick on front number plate. I understand that a number of the Limited Editions did have these stick on front number plates originally.
    Cheers,
    NM

Hi,
I don’t know if there are any specifically shaped templates for the stick-on style of number plate designed to fit the compound curve of an MX-5 front bumper.
I tried a generic stick-on front plate on my NB and it stuck like glue but, the reflective background was slightly inflexible which meant it puckered up along the top and bottom edges even though it was applied carefully and in warm conditions.
In the end I couldn’t live with how it looked and ended up bending an aluminium plate to conform to the contours of the bumper skin.
Just something for you to bare in mind as you go forward.

Plenty of stick on number plate suppliers on ebay motors. If you are going to fit one to your vehicle I suggest you remove Mazda badge from front panel, that is below bonnet and apply number plate there, it’s a flatter surface to adhere to. Make sure you give the surface a good clean otherwise you will get bubbling. You can refit front badge to the lower edge of bonnet.
See pics

I have one off eBay and they are quite difficult to fit without getting any bubbles underneath :confounded::confounded:

Hopefully the plates mounted on top of the car don’t upset your local MOT centre.:thinking:

Thanks to everybody for your replies. Fortunately my car does not have a bonnet badge, so I don’t have to worry about moving that.

My car passed mot last Friday, no problem at all with stick on Number plate. I hear this all the time, testers are more interested in safety issues.

Glad to hear that J_P :+1:

Disregard my previous comments about the distortion NM1.
Where J_P and bally3 have placed theirs should avoid such issues.