Front springs for 2010 NC 2.0 Sport Tech?

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC
  2. I’m based near: Glasgow
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Part number for front springs

Hello all,

My 2010 NC 2.0 Sport Tech was in for its MOT today, and failed due to a cracked front spring. The garage sourced a pair of replacement springs, but they’re obviously not correct, as the ride height is now too high at the front. They’ve offered to replace the springs free of charge, but I just want to make sure we’re ordering the correct ones. The springs have a red and an orange dot, as per the attached photo.

I’d previously asked MX5parts about the springs, and they advised that these were the correct ones. I’m just a bit confused, as the description doesn’t mention Bilstein sport suspension anywhere, which my car has. I hope this all makes sense, many thanks in advance for any help offered!

Andrew.

So I say you need these then…

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/coil-spring-front-bilstein-convertible-mk35-p-4188.html

Unless shocks haven’t been fitted correctly, the weight of the car needs to on them before the final torque up.

Thanks for the reply, Mick. The garage have done a bit more digging, and it appears that my car has had an Eibach / Mazda lowering kit fitted to it at some point, hence the difference in ride height between front (standard new springs) and rear (lowered springs). They’ve sent me this link to a set of lowering springs for sale on eBay, which shows the red and orange dots on the front springs. The trials and tribulations of not knowing the full history of a car!

1 Like

That would make more sense then.

If you noticed your arch gap should have been reduced to something like this below with those springs fitted.

Yup, that looks more like it! I was always confused when people were talking about the 4x4 look on the NC, as I didn’t think the arch gaps on mine looked that bad. The fact that it’s been lowered explains it!

Hi, I have a 2010 sport tech with the Mazda (Eibachs) lowered springs and they are bright blue.
Are you sure they are the Eibachs or a different spec?

1 Like

Mazda branded eibach springs are blue, direct from eibach (or resellers) are black.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, everyone. I’ve decided to buy the springs on eBay, I found another post on here confirming that part no. 410077779 was the correct one for a set of springs for a >2008 NC. At least I can see that the coloured dots on the springs are the same as the ones that came off my car!

1 Like

Also just to add. Make sure all bolts are tightened with the weight of the car on the springs - not while dangling on a jack, as ride height will be affected by bushes being bound.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, but the suspension was definitely refitted correctly. I double checked with the garage when I was there, in the least accusatory tone possible!

1 Like