Front towing eye won't screw in

Aye, angled very slightly down towards the front of the car. Not much but enough to foul the trim piece beside the number plate

Great I have just ordered the tap, need to sort this before Donnington in December

1 Like

I’ve got a similar model. Unless I find two original towing eyes hidden behind the side boot panels I am looking for after market ones (straps?)

Where do people source them? Some of the online items look wrong somehow.

2 Likes

I have a mix of OEM and this for the NC: Tow Hook, MX5 Mk3 3.5 3.75

Fits perfectly now I’ve sorted the sockets out.

I used a combination of the tap, a one inch wire pipe brush and some WD40 in the end, happy with the result.

3 Likes

:+1: Here’s hoping we never have to use them.

I cant believe that there Mazda give you two, im guessing they have different threads on. Why not make them the same thread and only supply one ?

1 Like

My NC came with just one so I’m guessing that’s what Mazda give you (unless one has gone walkabouts in the eight years before I bought it) - the second one I have I bought in case the threading issue was with the eye rather than the socket. I didn’t really think it was (and in the end it wasn’t) but now at least I can put one on both ends before going on track.
They both have the same thread afaik

So do both mine

I think they need 2 for lashing down on the ship.

1 Like

That would make sense… i can leave one at home then.

1 Like

They don’t use towing eyes for that, there are two oval holes in the cills for it.

1 Like

I am making an assumption that it’s similar at the back. And OK they’re not MX-5s.

1 Like

must be easier to get under the car and mount the hooks on the chassis rather using the tow hooks…

nah…

Yes it is much easier.

1 Like

Got to agree with DT on this one. It’s the reason so many of those oval sill hole covers are missing or left in the boot after pdi inspection.
May not work for larger and taller vehicles though.