Frustrating wildlife on a country road

How to upset me in one easy drive…! Wildlife that have no idea how to cross a road, when a vehicle going by is travelling at around 50mph… And I would have missed it if the silly creature did not do a u-turn… sigh!

Just to make matters more frustrating, the thing is jammed inside the front of the car, and so far no amount of leg-pulling has been sufficient to set it free.

I am unsure how much a new front replacement will be, but doubtless like most things car related these days, it is unlikely to be cheap.

If that’s all the damage then it’s very repairable.
Poor wildlife, they didn’t stand a chance, the shock of seeing you hurtling towards them.:sleepy:
I had a deer once cross my path, very scary, just think of the mess had it stopped. :thinking:

Frustrating day for you but, on the flip side whilst we enjoy our cars and other forms of travel, wildlife was here long before any motorised transport and I dare say long after humans vacate the planet the wildlife will get it back

2 Likes

I hit a pheasant, when it was on its Sunday morning stroll across the road and it ended up through the plastic front grill, in a couple of pieces.

Super Glue fixed the grill, which had a lot more damage than yours and wasn’t noticeable unless you knew it was there.

Pigeons seem drawn to MX-5s. I think they are confused by the small frontal area and think the car is further away.

I can assure a large stag does cause a few dents.

2 Likes

A Dolomite Sprint would have done even more damage.

I’ll get me coat.

4 Likes

Yep, it’s silly season for pheasants.
The last-minute double back is their speciality.
Great for avoiding a predator but not an approaching car.

1 Like

thats dinner sorted

The other day I saw a cock pheasant at the side of the road with feathers drifting about, apparently recently run over. However, as I passed by I saw another male was flying at it, hitting it with it’s feet and pecking it.
I couldn’t work out if it was trying CPR or had just won a fight to the death. Perhaps this is what happens in the mating season.
I’ve woken up after a night out to find a bat stuck under my windscreen wiper.
My boss blew up his BMW engine after hitting a fox. It cracked his sump, the oil drained away and the engine seized.

1 Like

Wildlife v Vehicle

Vehicle will usually win

Dunno whether it’s just me but I slow down when driving in the countryside…even when there are no warning signs to indicate e.g. deer

Because I would be mortified if I killed/harmed another living creature

4 Likes

I agree. Driving along a road a bird flew out of the hedge and I had no chance to stop because by the time I saw it, it was too late as it struck the windscreen before I could react. I still feel bad about it and that was at least 6 years ago.

This is in stark contrast to others I knew where I used to live who would carry knives with them so that when not if they hit one of the roaming sheep, they could make sure it was dead and detach it from the vehicle.

1 Like

This is awful to hear :broken_heart:

Having spent years in the criminal justice system you think you’ve heard everything about how humans harm each other and animals but this is a new one on me

I mean you’d think they would care about their vehicles and the cost of repair at least :upside_down_face: