Fuel gauge stuck on full

Hi all, I have a 1999 mk2 1.6 eunos. the fuel gauge is stuck on full, I checked the sender in the fuel tank with a multimeter, it gave the correct readings, checked the 4 pin plug on the top of the tank which goes to the fuel gauge, it gave a reading which I believe to be correct, I switched the fuel gauge with a gauge from another car and that remains stuck on full also. I went back to the sender in the tank and changed that, the fuel gauge still remains stuck on full. The car is not used during the winter, perhaps not being used for 6 or 7 months a year might have something to with it, if anyone can offer any advice on the above I would be most grateful. John.

How much fuel is in the tank?

1 Like

In the hot weather, my rev counter and oil pressure gauges sometimes stick on “0” so once moving a gentle “thump” on the console frees them. However, with the fuel gauge, it’s electrical so it sounds like the sender unit in the tank has either failed or is stuck in the “up” (full) position or the gauge has failed.

The attached video shows how to test the gauge with a multimeter at the fuel tank end as well as replace the pump/sender unit or service it as needed.

FUEL SENDER AND PUMP

Hope this helps.