Fuel panic

How very true indeed! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

17 Likes

The fleet here at grumpy towers are all pretty low on fuel. Next week we have a funeral 50 miles away, hospital appointments and a visit to my old mum (88 and counting) 70 miles away.

Neighbour who travels for a living says he’s tried all the stations within 6 miles of home and all are empty.

I’ve enough for a trip out in the Mazda tomorrow and for the stuff I need to do next week

We’re fine. If I see a garage with fuel I’ll fill up as normal. If not, I’ll wait then walk!

1 Like

Low key day today.
This idiot might be able to help you out. :flushed::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Considering the garages are saying they are getting normal supplies, but thereason they are running short is increased demand, then Yes it is rumour mongering by the press

1 Like

My daughter lives in a flat about 100yds from a petrol station here in Bournemouth. She told me last night that when she cycled to work yesterday at 8:00am it was deserted, which surprised her because BBC news was going on about fuel shortages and panic buying as she was having breakfast. Her partner, who works from home, looked out of the window at 9:30 and the road was choked with traffic queueing for petrol and was like that all day. The whole area was gridlocked. People caught up in the traffic were late for work, hospital appointments, school dropoffs etc, etc.

All day long TV news was hyping this up. The local paper online was running “Live Updates Across Dorset As Panic Buying Continues” (their headline). The media should be ashamed. Don’t they have any social responsibility? Talk about self-fulfilling prophesies. I despair for the human race sometimes.

5 Likes

Has been reported on the news this morning that a fire engine needed diesel on the way back from a call - No diesel to be had…!

Rob

Just got back from the supermarket, had to queue for literally seconds to self-scan the vegetable oil for the van. If only the Civic ran on it too! :smiley:

Annoyingly though, today a man on the checkout next to me asked about it and said “For the fuel crisis eh!?” before rolling his eyes and walking off. Didn’t have chance to point out that I’ve been buying 100l of oil like this for ages, and I wasn’t a panic buyer! No one has ever commented before…

1 Like

There would be no shortage crisis if the media did not mention it and people did not believe it and panic buy. Self fulfilling prophecy comes to mind. Problem is the people who REALLY NEED it like community nurses etc. won’t be able to get it because of those people who use their cars to drive 200 yds down the road to do their shopping feeling they have to brim their tank even if it is 3/4 full.

2 Likes

So…the media should be prevented from reporting what is happening? That’d fuel some nice conspiracy theories. Good job people can’t mention it on Facebook then…

1 Like

Local Asda gridlocked.

Wife says a young women with three children has been at the bus stop 35 mins waiting for the bus. It’s a service that passes Asda every 10 mins then passes our house.

What a terrible state we have come to, Christmas looming, I wonder what’s next?

Benefit of Age & Experience ?

Me Thinks Many of Us Will Remember the OPEC Crisis ?
I Recall the Queues in 1979 !
And Queuing For Bread as a Teenager !

I Just Did My Normal Yesterday at Tesco in Newcastle-Under-Lyme, STAFFS - No Problems

‘Don’t Panic Mr Mainwaring …Don’t Panic !’ [Well I Could Have Done Because She Was Showing Petrol Warning Light and I Need Her to Get About due to Mobility Issues]

BUT…MORE IMPORTANT THAN ME IS THE ESSENTIAL WORKERS AND FOLK NEEDING TO SUPPORT VULNERABLE ADULTS etc

1 Like

No, there was nothing wrong with the media reporting the temporary closing of a few petrol stations but they initially made it sound like there was a general fuel shortage. When the word panic buying is mentioned everybody starts panic buying making the situation far worse than it needs to be.

3 Likes

We’ve still got the last fuel crisis ration coupons, you never know?:grin:

1 Like

Nice pun there!

1 Like

"Get Ajax filled, don’t forget the pig pish Adblue, or it will be the Bore Worms.

1 Like

Dragging the Depths Now of My Aging Memory…Some O.U. Course…Back in the Mists of Time…

‘Media Amplification Something Or Other’

The Press By Reporting the Issue…Fuel the Anxiety…Which then Fuels the Issue…Which Then Results in the Issue Becoming an Actual Problem in Reality…Whereas Before …It Wasn’t a Problem…Just Anxiety

No Fuel Pun Intended

2 Likes

There was a fuel shortage in 1956 due to the Suez crisis. :thinking: But most people didn’t have cars!:smiley:
Ah, those were the days!! :face_with_monocle: :crazy_face:

1 Like

They did no such thing . Every report I saw and heard on BBC R4 and ITV news , and read in The Times , was at pains to point out there was no shortage of fuel. I can’t comment on what the redtops said - but does anybody take these comics seriously ?

1 Like

This is getting fun. :slightly_smiling_face:
The thing is “most people” will not read the Times, Telegraph or whatever other intellectual paper.
The rags will report (and do) “embellish the truth” to sell papers and encourage people to read the rubbish online! Facebook and Twitter then take off etc etc…Within a few hours total carnage around the Country.
The simple facts were that VERY FEW" BP stations were short of fuel due to lack of drivers, (which BP stated).
Does that really need reporting as main news? of course not.
If my local Sainsbury’s ran out of bread and milk for a day does that warrant total media hype on a national basis? No again of course not. It would have been back on the shelves tomorrow. Other Sainsbury’s will have bread and milk just as other BP stations would have had Diesel and Petrol.
They (the media) know EXACTLY what they are doing when they report this rubbish.

4 Likes

Agree with you there John but as you say the Redtops (which my comment was aimed at) love to sensationalise and probably caused the panic as many people do take what they say for gospel. People obviously do take these comics seriously as they do anti-vaccine propaganda on Facebook etc.

1 Like