Fuel Tank Mystery

Okay, this is a bit odd. My NC2 apparently has a 50 litre fuel tank (that’s what the manual says). Today the fuel warning light came on and by the time I’d got to a petrol station the fuel gauge needle was bang on the 0 marker. When I filled the tank it only took 42 litres of petrol to fill her up - does it really have another 8 litres of fuel in it when the gauge reads empty???

(now, given that it was full at 42 maybe I should have posted this in the Life, the Universe and Everything forum)

2 Likes

I’ve got approx another 25 miles out of mine after the fuel light came on. I’ve read it still has around 1 gallon left, it’s probably correct but I’m not up for trying it again.

Allowing for the age of the car and therefore the components which make up the fuel level warning system, it’s entirely possible that a mixture of old age in the float mechanism, resistance in the wiring, the angle of the road that you were on, and the low granularity of the fuel gauge, allied to Mazda being conservative about when the warning light comes on, could indeed mean that there was 8 litres left. Also, when you filled the car afterwards, did you absolutely fill it to the brim?

The only way to tell for sure would be to run the car until it’s fully empty, and then see how much fuel it will take. You’d be a braver man than me if you do decide to try this!

If it helps NBFL’s are also said to have 50 litre tanks and I have deliberately run mine dry on two occasions, one with a spare 4 litres on board and spluttered onto a forecourt and the car would not restart, and on the other was lucky to judge it just right parked in a car park near a forecourt went shopping and came back and the car would not start so went and got 4 litres with my empty can. Anyway on both occasions I failed to get 48 litres into the tank absolutely brimful, no idea where the extra 2 liters plus capacity can be.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.