Garage roof; temporary repairs, replacement

I have a standard detached flatroof garage, with a ratty up and over door, bitumen roof. The roof is a bit tatty, and the fascias are rotton. Druing lockdown, the up and over door mechanism decided to pull itself through the rotton door frame. So it needs work, but has always kept the rain out, until now.

For a temporary repair, I have some shed roofing and a pot of brushable bitument. Just going to nail up an egly repair for now. Any other tips. Not sure about leaving the car in the garage, given its cats n dogs outside.

A felted bitumen flat roof typically has a five to twenty year life depending on who did it. An epoxy fibreglass replacement has typically double this, assuming relevant remedial work has been done underneath.

My In-Laws whole-house flat roof was redone by the Newport Council every ten years. Final iteration was the epoxy upgrade thirty-five years ago and we know it has not been touched since. I’ve just had a look on Google maps, but it won’t let me take a screen-shot.

I’ve got a 30 year old flat roof, still the original felt. I’ve just put some Flash band on the corners as it’s cracking just there. Everywhere else is good.

The roofer I use mainly for my son’s house repairs recommended I coat the roof with this below, and says coat it over the flash banded joints too. He says it’s pretty good for 30 yrs, he guessed it had only been done 15-20 years.

Cromapol Roof Acrylic Roof https://g.co/kgs/vJSz9p

I can’t see me staying in this house for 20 years, so it will be replaced like for like. Right now I just poured some some bitumen over the obvious cracks, rotted roof, Gap in the weather tomorrow AM to do a bit more.

I ripped the roof of ours new ply sheets then covered in Firestone EPDM really simple with 25 year guarantee on the EPDM.

The wood likely needs to be replaced depending on how long the water has been getting into it. I’ve used the ‘paint on’ bitumen before on the shed but it soon fails. In terms of the garage door we replaced with a roller door takes up less room.

Just trying to effect temporary repairs. To no avail it seems, as the sitrep this morning is that the water is still pouring it. 2 liters of thick Bitument and some shed roof felt has done little it seems. I might have to dig out a hood cover and get the car on the drive, rather than it rot in a sodden garage.

A couple of sheets of plywood will need replacing, but these should cost buttons. Plan all along was for a manual roller door, to gain a bit more width, and get rid of that metal guide that is just below mirror height. Small garage, so I need to get the car tight over.