Garage threshold seals

I have a nice enough garage, insulated, well lit and all that, and a pair of insulated roller shutter doors at the front. Only thing it the floor is dead flat, so when it rains heavy and the wind is blowing the rain against the doors I get water coming under the doors. I thought I had stopped it but recently I discovered I haven’t.

I have seen two types of threshold seals, one is aluminium section and looks like it could withstand years of abuse, it is however £160 to do both doors.
The other type looks as good in profile but is rubber that you glue down. They supply the glue and insist it will hold fast. I’m dubious.
Has anyone used these rubber glue down seals? Will they withstand me driving across them at least twice a day for years? D they peal up easily? I take the lawn mower and all sorts out every week so the seal needs to be rugged.

Is the rubber seal applied to the floor or to the door? If it was applied to the door it would make more sense…

On my up-and-over door I used the Aluminium/rubber seal from Wickes.
It is very tough. The rubber strip is an insert that can be slid in the ali channel. I used four pieces in all.

I mounted it so the rubber flap is semi-parallel to the floor or wall. By screwing it on the wrong way round I give it a slight angle of about 20-30 degrees to the surface. This allows a wiping seal.

Here’s a pic from inside (its raining and cold outside so not opened) under the door showing how the rubber drops against the floor with the lip to the outside and the ali fixing to the inside up under the bottom edge of the door. I needed to add some battens for best fixings and to bring it back a bit so the outside lip was flush with the outside face of the door.

The side pieces are fixed to the frame so the door slides in between them, again with the slight angle for the wiping contact.

Top is a hard stop, no gap.

Hi . I used a rubber strip from Screwfix fixed to the floor which has worked well over two winters . It is robust and the glue is very effective !

It has to be fixed to the floor I don’t want to fix anything to the door. I have a factory fitted seal on the door much like a car door rubber, a hollow rubber pipe that gets squashed oval when the doors close. I have roller shutter doors.
Fixing to the floor is a guaranteed way to keep it dry inside, they insist if the drive slopes towards the garage they will keep back a puddle 20mm deep on a full time basis, a rubber on the door won’t do this.

1 Like

Pictures of both types:
Rubber

Aluminium

On my last house I used a 19mm x 38mm hardwood batten bedded in silicone mastic and screwed to the floor at 300mm centres. It lasted for years and cost very little to install. Never a drop of water through it.

I have one of these fitted under large roller shutter on my garage, been down for years with their supplied adhesive, make sure you seal the area before with a floor sealer, has kept the rain out

I did think about a hardwood strip. It would be economical. £24 or £28 (£48 or £56 a pair) for one of the two rubber options isn’t bad I was just worried the adhesive would be rubbish. They make all of the right noises, but they want to sell it, hence I was looking for experience as per UKPendfold. :+1:

1 Like

Ah with that problem, I would go for the rubber one well glued down to a sound base.

I built my garage raised above ground level, like the rest of the house; water will run out but not in.

I used the rubber seal about 18 months ago and it’s still stuck down although I don’t use the garage every day. The adhesive was Soudaflex I think and it seems to withstand the heavy rain we get here. I would use it again.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve used the glue down rubber type. Been down years now and not moved at all👍🏻 Provides a nice seal under the door.

1 Like

My garage doors are very exposed, rubber seal no trouble and dry floor for 11 years, same seal as your picture, Fenland garage doors supplied mine. I also have a ACO Drain, in front of both doors, running to a soak away

1 Like

Sounds like they are fine then. I’m ordering now.
My floor is dead flat and in very heavy rain I get about 1mm deep water over the whole floor. It sounds like noting but over a 22 foot by 22 foot floor it’s getting on for half a litre.
It’s my own fault tbf, the original doors where up and over and mounted at the front of the opening between the brickwork. I have moved them back and fitted them behind the brick work adding 130mm to the drive thru width, this has the net result of a 2.4 meter wide 25cm or so deep area in front of the doors allowing water to run in. It has always happened but since the new doors it happens more. Either way it’s an easy fix I just wanted to know if these glue down strips are any good.
Thanks all.

Same here

Not best pics :hushed:

Looks good tho. Mine wasn’t a great picture, I was looking for one with the doors and MX5 in

I’m suffering serious garage envy here.
Any garage at all would be fine for me :cry:

1 Like

See MY GARAGE, in general discussion :shushing_face::shushing_face::shushing_face::astonished::astonished::+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3:

Yes my doors are set back 25mm for the same reason as yours, and the rubber seal has worked great

1 Like