general re-map question

hi ,

just one silly (probably) question.

when buying a used 5 how can you tell if it has been re-mapped previously or not?

like i said , probably a dumb question but i am curious.

thanks

Barring asking the previous owner(s) you probably won’t unless you drive a few back to back.

is there no way to ‘read’ the ecu And get a kind of version number from the current map?

Use an OBD2 reader and the better software if you have a later car (several threads about this).  BUT, there is no guarantee that the version number was also updated if/when the re-map happened.  And then of course you also need to know what the correct version number is.

The only sure way is to put it on a Dyno and see what it does.  This could be depressing because in general after several years of use and abuse or neglect most cars (including MX5s) never get near their ‘original’ BHP.  Which is why the Terraclean (or an Italian tune-up) so often seems to work a miracle by merely putting a car back to near where it should have been in the first place.

see below

If you bring the car to us then we can plug the EcuTEK software in and tell you if the car has had a re-map

HTH

I’m puzzled by replies from some members on this thread, I am under the impression that you cannot remap and ECU. As I understand it, ECU’s are not reprogrammable - if they were how come FM designed their own ECU which is user programmable? And owners fitting FI often use a separate fuelling module to get the right fuel mix to the cylinders?

My knowledge of solid state is limited, though I do know the basics, and I’m under the impression that ECU’s are equipped with ROM memory (read only memory) am I wrong? While I had to agree with a previous poster several months ago that you can adjust the clock speed, I questioned whether that achieve anything, though he had been told otherwise.

ROM memory is ‘burned in’ and AFAIK the only way to change it is ‘flash’ the whole program out and a new one in. This assumes the re-programmer knows the ECU (and the car) intimately, and is therefore capable of doing this. (He or She could be in F1). Having said this, I’m fairly sure F1 programmers use either Eprom or Ram to be able to do this, especially when they can remotely change the settings on a race car.

Some cars can be changed by ‘chipping’ - a WRX for instance, but again AFAIK Mazda’s cannot.

So - am I right or wrong? At 82 I still have a lot to learn!

Hi Gerry,

the later Mazda ECU can be re-mapped - the EcuTEK software allows access to all 40+ maps on the ECU.

HTH

Thanks for that, appreciated. I assume you are agreeing with me about pre-Ecotech engined cars?

I would however temper what I said earlier inasmuch as earlier ECU’s must have a limited amount of RAM, as 1) It needs a back-up battery and 2)There are a few variable parameters (related to how you drive the car) which will be set to default (Standard) if the main battery is disconnected for any length of time. - Timing and fuelling ramps?

Having programmed PLC’s and Inverters particularly - where there is similarity between engines and electric motors used in different applications, I am familiar with ramping, but on an inverter you can set ramps according to application, whereas on an ECU I assume there are a few preset ramps which are set by RAM, based on your right foot at a guess!

None of this info (relating to ECU composition) seems to be available, so IMHO there’s lot of blarney about what you can do with a pre-ecotech engine ECU.

unfortunately you are too far away. 

i am considering a few mods and a re-map at some point.

problem is, i have 11mth mazda warranty , so i should be sensible and wait until it expires.

having said that, me and “sensible” dont normally see eye to eye! 

cheers anyway

You’re right to be cautious re warranty - but I’m sure you could make certain ‘adjustments’ without them ever knowing - or that could be reversed in the event of needing to make a claim.

The reality is with any used car warranty the dealer/or warranty supplier will try and wriggle out of fixing/paying for anything if they can. I usually look at it that I would repair smaller things myself and only pursue a warranty claim in the event a big ticket item went bang engine, box, diff, PRHT.