Getting started in track days and maybe getting some coaching?

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC1
  2. I’m based near: Lymington
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Track days and training

So my NC1 is pretty new to me and (as far as I’m aware) a stock 1.8 5 speed.

I’ve never done a track day or anything like that and I’d like to know how to get started, whether there are better places than others for that first experience? How much it’s likely to cost and whether any special kit is required, a helmet? Whether it’s possible to get training or coaching but in my own car to get the best out of it and the day?

All complete newbie questions, please be gentle…

1 Like

Plenty of advice on here using the search tool.
Money spent on tuition is the best way to improve your lap time. More importantly, it makes you smoother and less likely to destroy your brakes, tyres and go off the circuit. Better driving and car preparation first, lap times are way down the list.

If your car is new to you I would start small. When I got my NC I went to Curborough, Blyton, Donington - in that order. Also got a 4-wheel alignment.

The only mistake I’ve made is putting new road tyres on the car and then tracking around Donington in the dry. Too much movement in the tread - or was it my cornering technique?

yes you need a helmet. you could get loan ones but I’d not fancy sweating in someone else’s sweat.

cost… depends on what track, accommodation, car consumables, considering you not planning crashing it.
to give you an idea for Donington park
250-350 track depending on what time in the season (some operators provide free photos and tuition but some operators do not)
30-40 garage
my race pads are 250 quid a pair and I’d expect 1/3 to wear down
tyres… use road tyres Michelin ps5, depends how much sideways, how hot it is. lets say 1/4 to 1/5 of their life
fuel on track at least a full tank if not more
food and accommodation if not local, up to you that really.

you should have some tools with you. tyre pressure gauge, electric pump, jack, make sure you check wheel nuts are tight (I’d purchase a decent torque wrench) and get rid the stupid locking nuts if you have one. check car to be on fresh pads, good tyres. stick to 10-15 minute stints. always warm up the car and do a warm up lap and a cool down lap. check the oil, double check the oil if its an nc1. have spare pads and tools to change them just in case (especially if you use road pads)

dont forget to enjoy it…

oh and don’t pull handbrake in the garage after you come in

It can be perfectly straightforward and affordable. Your car needs to be up to scratch - fluids , tyre pressures , brakes - etc but for a first venture on track you don’t need special kit or prep , just common sense and a decent helmet A lot of folk now seem to take track days terribly seriously now- trailers, different sets of tyres and strutting around the paddock like they’re getting in the zone for Q3 at Spa . Fine, but it isn’t compulsory. A bit of help from an instructor is a good start ,and is very useful re lines and even gear choice. Heel and toeing helps make progress smoother but isn’t compulsory . To begin with it can feel quite intimidating but once you realise nobody expects you to be Lewis Hamilton you can relax a little. And in some ways it is much less stressful than driving quickly on the road - plenty of run off , you know where the corners go , there is nothing coming the other way , other drivers are paying attention and there is no speed limit. Enjoy - it’s only driving, after all .

Most if not all of this ^^

To add…trackdays are non competitive but you will occasionally get A-holes going at it like they’re trying to get a pass to the Last Supper.
Take notice at the track briefing in the morning.
Take your time too and build up your confidence slowly. You know how easy it could be to drop the car on the road, don’t do it on track, just take it easy.
Enjoyment is the buzzword and there will be other cars there that are surprisingly faster than your beloved NC. Keep your eyes peeled and just let them come by.

I usually do outlap, 2 fast laps, cooling down lap. My car is a 2.0 NC with coil overs the only major add on, so am usually the slowest car there as at most snetterton or Brands days there are plenty of race teams testing or people with “track” cars. If the weather is nice its a great way to spend a day.
Definitely get your own helmet, also get an app called Laptrophy so you can time your laps on your phone. They all say lap timing is not allowed but thats rubbish. One particular day Rick Parfit junior was there in his BTCC Infiniti and a whole crew of mechanics.

Snetterton is decent, quite wide and good run off areas and a couple of decent straights so you can try and get a good clear spot on your out lap. Brands Hatch is tight and not good when local Caterham race team turn up with half a dozen cars and completely ignore and rules about overtaking in turns etc.
MSV seem to run a lot of days but I prefer trackobsession who also offer free coaching. Ive done probably 10 - 15 days and only been off twice and had one scary moment when a Ginetta spun at turn 6 and was sitting facing me in the middle of the road.
Other than that just drive at your own pace and enjoy the day. I reckon roof down costs about 4mph on the back straight at Snetterton, but more fun to drive.

You guys are tempting me! I notice that Track Obsession are running a track day at Oulton Park in late February. That’s close to me, and catching my eye :upside_down_face: