Getting to grips with this amount of fun

Hi everyone 

After nearly a week of driving everywhere for any reason whatsoever and throwing myself into every corner (safety and within the limit), I can now see what all the fuss was about on this forum! 

I have absolutely loved actually having the weather to drive with the top down and have even had fun in the torrential rain! 

Now comes the sensible looking at the facts and possible improvements ready for SUMMER 

Here’s hoping we get one!

check your bank balance and your wallet! So many goodies to buy. Glad yo enjoyed it so far, may it continue.

Hi

Where are you located.

Dave

Happiness in a can, welcome to the fun factory.

You will always be smiling even just looking at the car and then you get behind the wheel, it never gets boring 

You will find reasons to go out that sound daft and will end up taking the long way home.

Thanks all, yes think that the extra fuel costs from driving the long way everywhere may get me before the cost of all the parts I’m buying! 

I’m in New Inn/Pontypool 

I’m in new inn aswell mate, where abouts are you? I’m at heol deiniol (down by the train station), if you need any advice, parts or help give me a shout (also a mechanic)

glad your enjoying it, I drive the long way home from Chepstow everyday out the USK lanes and it’s totally worth the extra fuel, never gets boring rain or shine!

Epic, thanks Stoksie. 

I’m down by Pontypool park gates. 

Be careful, I’ve a list of things I need/want! Starting with horn push button for Nardi steering wheel and from reading around looks like I need to replace my gear lever shift boot due to the exhaust smell in the cabin 

Why doesn’t everyone put their location in their profile? It would make it more interesting and easier to interact with advice, help etc.

Subtle hint taken… Now updated 

Both easy jobs mate, if you get the spares let me know, and swing by mine and we’ll get them fitted

mx5parts.co.uk are good for spares, quick delivery and good prices

Hide the credit card, these little beauties are addictive! You have been warned… 

Yes mx5 parts seem to be good, just put an order for gear leaver gaters and oil… and… may have accidentally added some silver side repeater bulbs and new floor mats at the same time… Shhhh

Thanks for the offer Stoksie, may take you up on that. I tend to like giving things a go but it’s all good intentions and luck most of the time

Ain’t that the perfect example of what this forum is all about? MX-5 ownership brings out the best in people. Well done Stoksie.

No problem mate, I’ve got a funnel and piping that you can feed through the transmission tunnel when refilling your gearbox, perfect time to do it while you have your gaitors off

whats the reg on your car il keep my eye out, mines the silver one with matching hardtop and black alloys, you may spot me about

Thanks Stoksie, can’t miss my number plate J913… WTF

Funnily enough I’m considering dark grey or black alloys, hate the ones on there at the moment. Might need to reconsider as we can’t have all the silver Mx5s looking the same. 

You free any time next Sunday or whenever suits you? Generally I work from home but need to stay logged onto the laptop until 5ish each weekday.

Although I’ll admit I’ve taken the dash and centre console out and the top gaiter looks brand new, not sure of how old the oil is and 1st to 2nd feels slightly notchy so think it’s worth taking it all apart and changing the oil anyway. 

That’s cool, mines a mk2 and il be changing alloys in the future so crack on with the black lol

im available Saturday or Sunday if you need a hand, change the gearbox internal oil aswell as the turret oil, I’ve been battling with notchy gears for over 2 years, there doesn’t really seem to be much of a solution aside buying a brand new gearbox lol, it seems to be the synchros and almost all boxes feel the same, but the cost of rebuilding or buying brand new isn’t feasible, but as the 5 speed box was originally from a truck it’s pretty hard wearing so you can just smash it into gear pretty confidently  learn to ignore the notchy (Nick) feeling

there are 2 gaitors, the lower and upper were both shredded on mine, replaced both and good as new, no noise or heat

replacing rear diff oil made a big difference on mine

Yes, happy with a few quirks in a car that’s twice as old as either of my children! 

Was going to just do the turret oil, but agree might as well get the whole lot done… As long as your okay giving up some time for me. I’ll grab an extra 2ltr of gearbox oil before the weekend 

Originally assumed the gaiters had gone due to the smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin, but that seems to have gone now that I’ve replaced the cat for a straight pipe and she is much sweeter above 3000.

Ill PM you my mobile and text over the weekend if that’s okay

Yea that’s all fine bud, just let me know!