Glass scratches

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ 2.0 Niseko
  2. I’m based near: __ Nottingham
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ Removing glass scratches.

Hi Guys

I have fine scratches on both door glass panels. From what looks like the windows going up and down. Does anybody know a ‘How to’ to get rid of them… let’s the car down. :grimacing:

Cheers.

Never tried it but I understand that jewelers paste works

If you can catch the scratches with your finger nail then it’s too late and you will probably not polish the scratches out. There are kits available on flea bay which contain cerium oxide and discs which claim to remove deep scratches though. You have to be careful you don’t overheat the glass. From experience it’s only possible to remove fine scratches completely but you may make the deeper ones less obvious.

I tried polishing some fine scratches on my windscreen out with a machine polisher with all sorts of compounds and polishes never touched them . From what I’ve read jewlers rouge is the best product to use , but you will need a machine polisher.

I’ve tried on my drivers door glass, got a few scratches, nothing touched them, no amount of polishing.
A breaker maybe for a good glass, can’t be that costly surely?

Hi Mick yes I think that would probably be the best bet really.

Mine had small fine scratches so contacted glassweld they wanted £90 a side with no guarantee it would get rid of them,so left it alone…I’ve wondered if a window tint would make them reduce in appearance.

I tried polishing out scratches both on a window in my house and on a side window on my car but it was a complete failure. It is not about the compounds but about the depth of the scratch. You can only eliminate fine shallow scratches. Anything deeper that you can feel with your finger needs new glass!